How Frustrating!!!!

Business By lecrn Updated 18 Feb 2007 , 10:20pm by tiggy2

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:09am
post #1 of 9

Calling all TN bakers:
I'm still new to this wonderful world of cake decorating, & I'm becoming discouraged about someday having my own business ran from home. I live in TN, & I just visited the Dpt. of Ag. website. I already see lots of problems with the structure of my kitchen. First, of all my home has an open floorplan. There's 2 entries into the kitchen neither have doors, and according to the regulations, the room must be completely closed off. Is there any way to get around this? Second, it states that you can sell as long as you don't exceed 100units of sale/week. What's 100units?
I have heard that as long as you sale to "friends & family", you don't necessarily need to acquire a license. Is that true?
One more question, I thought about getting business cards. Is that a bad idea if I'm not licensed?

8 replies
alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 3:04am
post #2 of 9

At least you CAN work in your house. I'm up a creek here in CA! Don't be discouraged....... once you jump the hoops you'll be glad.

royalfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
royalfrosting Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 7:23am
post #3 of 9

I would have to say,, units would mean 100 of anything you tend to sell, so 100 cakes... also, see if baby gates are considered as doors... meaning using these as doors,, im not sure why this is a must?? call your ag department and really ask them questions,, they will help you out.. and don't be afraid to do it,, they want you to just be safe...as far as selling to friends and family.. who all are friends and family,,, meaning not everyone you sell to is going to be a friend or family member.. if you need to be licensed in order to sell out of your home,, do it.. just to be on the safe side, call and ask,, don't just go by the website,, they can be very confusing,, and don't just listen to people about what they say is okay to do,, you reall must find out by calling, and this way you will feel safe and secure in your own mind that your doing things the right way.. because let me give you a word of advice a friend of mine who did cakes out of her home did lots... and was doing very well, and the local bakery knew about this,, and was getting upset,, because she had so many cars in front of her house and she was busy like this all the time,, the bakery reported her and she then had to convert her garage into a seperate cake area,, and not longer do it out of her kitchen and then get permits and such..so, always do the right thing.. because someone out there might be a bit mean and do that when you become a star.. icon_smile.gif hope this helped,, julie royalfrosting

Epi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Epi Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 9

Ditto to what royalfrosting had to say in the previous post. When you start hurting your competition they will come after you any way they can. Do not give them a easy target like this not having the proper documentation to run a business out of your home. Play by the rules and get your proper licenses and get your inspections out of the way like everybody else. Then go KICK your competitions &*&^*! icon_biggrin.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the advice! I have a lot of obstacles to overcome before a home inspection. For instance, I have a house dog. Also, according to the website, I have to complete a food handling course before obtaining a license.

royalfrosting Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 9

in my town in ohio,, i have a shop.. i asked my health inspector if i could take a safe food handling course from him, and he kinda laughed at me,, i thought this was wierd,, he said i din't need to do that.. if i wanted to take a class at a local school i could, but baked goods are not dangerous.. eggs, and dairy have to be kept at no more than 41 degree's.. once you bake anything with eggs in it you pretty much kill anything if the oven is over 250 i believe,, but if this is something you were told directly by your ag department or health department then by all means do it!! my hd guy also said that i should do the cakes out of my home it would be much less costly on my part,, he said because we no longer need licenseing here,, he just likes to walk through a home to make sure that there are not cats and dogs having a margarita party in the kitchen,, i think you should really check out the baby gates... it would not hurt.. royalfrosting

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 9

Why do you put doors in your kitchen? you are lucky to have more options some states don't license home bakeries

royalfrosting Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 9

im sorry i was mixing to topics together,, if you have pets in your home,, you have to have the kitchen blocked off from them having any access.. when i did cakes out of my home,, i put my kitties in the basement, and cleaned the entire kitchen and kitties had to have the party in the basement,, my animals were never allowed to jump on counters.. but at night time,, like i said these guys find a mixer and a lime or two and well, what more can i say! ahahahhaha all and all, it is just safe to do all what your town requires... be safe... this will also help you to buy from vendors too, if you have license ,tax id, fed number etc... if your wanting to claim the income and your not just doing a hobby thingy..

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 9

Our Extension Office offers the safe food handling course so you might check with the one in your local area.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%