I Always Make Too Much Icing!!!!

Decorating By momoftwogirls Updated 25 Nov 2005 , 6:02pm by lotsoftots

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 16

How do I judge how much to make? Because I know you need to make enough of the colors so you don't run out. But I always make so much I could ice four cakes with it!!

Also how long can I keep it stored?

Thanks a bunch.

15 replies
bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 16

I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday. When I mix a color, I would rather have too much than to try to make more and match the color, but I always, always have way too much. I don't know the answers to your questions, but I do know you are not the only one. icon_wink.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 16

I have a huge Tupperware bowl that seals airtight... I make about 4 double mixings of icing at a time and completely fill this bowl... it never lasts long with me and I'm constantly having to make more! I just wish I had too much lol I said if I ever really got an business going for real, I'd have to hire someone just to make my icing .. I hate doing that part lol

I'd rather have a little bit too much of the colors I need than not enough .. it's too hard to match the colors... I buy the Glad disposable bowls and store my extra in those .. if I don't use them in a week or two, I throw the icing away ... during the winter, mine will keep a little longer but in the summer, I'll only keep it a couple of weeks... it gets really hot down here!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 16

I always have left over...but that is ok because I always end up using it. I like to use mine within two weeks...if I don't then I throw it out. icon_smile.gif

lightofapollo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lightofapollo Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 16

It depends on what type of icing you use.

For the Wilton shortening only buttercream (no butter) without milk (only water), I've heard 2 weeks at room temperature, 1 month in the fridge, 3-4 months in the freezer.

For buttercream with butter, not more than a few days at room temperature ( I can't find the "how quickly does butter spoil page I had once upon a time).

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 16

I always try to make too much icing, because making just a bit more is a pain, especially trying to match colours. I have a whole lot of clean margarine containers stored and i use them to put the extras in the freezer. I keep the icing for next time i need to use it, defrost it and give it a bit of a beat next time, and voila, like new again.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwogirls

How do I judge how much to make? Because I know you need to make enough of the colors so you don't run out. But I always make so much I could ice four cakes with it!!

Also how long can I keep it stored?

Thanks a bunch.

Ice four cakes!!! What size!!?? icon_biggrin.gif

I kinda eyeball the amount I need. When I make for example an 8" x 4" round cake, I make a double recipe of the Wilton icing that calls for 2 lbs of icing, 2 cups of Crisco, etc. I will have some leftover, but that's okay. I rather have extra than have to make more icon_razz.gif

I make my batches for more cakes in the same way, because my Kitchen Aid mixer will only hold up to that anyway.

Try to keep a log of how much icing it takes you every time you ice a cake and that would give you an idea.

Any leftover icing, you can keep in the fridge for 2 weeks and in the freezer for about 3 months.

momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 16

Thanks for all the quick response!!

I just made a 9 x 13 in cake. I made black icing for the top. that is what I made two much of! I double the recipe because it looked like i would need that much. heck I didn't even make a dent in the batch. I made stars all over the cake.
I don't know what to use the rest of the black icing for.

I will post a picture of the cake later tonight.
thanks again!!! Christina

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 1:16am
post #9 of 16

The Wilton serving charts also have a column where it gives the approx. amounts of icing (in cups, Wilton recipe is 3 cups per batch) needed for each size of cake.
Just be careful to read it carefully, because it only gives the amount needed to ice and put a border on it. Also, it will differ depending on if your cake is 1 or 2 layer.

Hope that helps some icon_smile.gif

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 1:18am
post #10 of 16

Oh, sorry, I just re-read the original post and realized you were asking about making different coloured icing. I suppose then the charts won't be of use since that gives amounts of icing for the whole cake.

Sorry! icon_redface.gif

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 1:31am
post #11 of 16

When I do this, I make a bunch of roses or flowers, with the recipe I use there is no dairy so they dry very well and I use them to decorate cakes as I need them. I also freeze any unused icing in baggies with all the air out... works fine for me...

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 3:07am
post #12 of 16

i try to make one recipe for one colour...that way i have lots of it and i dont have to make icing every time i need to make a cake...i freeze it and when i need it i defrost, fill the bags and freeze again...

but then again i have a whole fridge and freezer dedicated to cakes...that may be why...

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 3:16am
post #13 of 16

I never make enough ... maybe you and I should team up!! icon_lol.gif

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 2:18pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwogirls

Thanks for all the quick response!!

I just made a 9 x 13 in cake. I made black icing for the top. that is what I made two much of! I double the recipe because it looked like i would need that much. heck I didn't even make a dent in the batch. I made stars all over the cake.
I don't know what to use the rest of the black icing for.

I will post a picture of the cake later tonight.
thanks again!!! Christina

Save the black icing in the freezer for future use. (see my previous post).

To thaw, take out of freezer and put in the fridge overnight. Then take it out and let it come to room temp.

I do it all the time and it works great. thumbs_up.gif

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 25 Nov 2005 , 12:15am
post #15 of 16

If you make too much (which I always do too) make little icing cartridges out of the extra with saran wrap and put in the freezer. When you need that color again just take it out and it doesn't take long to thaw (like an hour maybe)

To make the "cartridges" take a length of saran wrap and plop the icing in the middle then roll up the wrap and on the ends twist. I usually give then a quick twirl and fold the ends underneath. then I take a bigger tupperware container and put the several colors in it to give it extra freezer protection.

Works great! I didn't come up with this but I can't remember where I saw it. To use you don't even have to take it out of the original saran. Just cut off one twisted end and plop it in your bag and it makes clean up easier (if you are using the nondisposable bags that is)

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 25 Nov 2005 , 6:02pm
post #16 of 16

Someone provided me with this link when I had a similar question: http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/party_2inch.cfm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%