Colored Cake Boards

Decorating By heychele Updated 17 Feb 2007 , 5:45pm by indigojods

heychele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heychele Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 16

Does anyone know if they sell grease resistant colored cake boards? It would be so nice to have some pastel ones and primary color ones. I can get some of my cakes to look okay but if you look at the boards they're sitting on it looks awful. Even though I take my time covering them they just don't come out right! Any suggestions?

15 replies
czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 16

I'd love some too ...

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 16

What if you made your own and painted them , then covered with clear contact paper? Too much work? They would be reusable though wouldn't they?

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 16

You could always just cover the board in colored fondant!

Rachel

Michelle104 Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 16

How do you do that with the fondant? Do you have to secure it to the bottom somehow or do you just cut it the same size?

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 16

I cover mine in fabric, then contact paper. Sometimes I use thick foamcore and cover it with fabric, contact paper and a bottom with mat board covered in contact paper. I connect the bottom to the top with a hot glue gun or flat thumb tacks (doesn't work as well as the glue gun). I then reuse them again and again. You can wipe them clean... can't really wash them (submerge that is), but you can use them many times over. icon_smile.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 16

Love the fabric/contact idea, but unless I was getting the Board back, would not bother

sirius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirius Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 16

i recently experimented with using fabric too. they're endless designs/colours to choose from and you can just cover them with plastic which you can reuse over and over again. check out my pics for two examples. good luck with your search!

wendysue Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 5:03pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

Love the fabric/contact idea, but unless I was getting the Board back, would not bother

You can factor the cost into the cake charges, if they want something special and are up for it. I make most of my cakes for friends and family, so that's never an issue. Have only lost one of my boards... on the princess cake in my photos and on my cake site.

wendysue Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius

i recently experimented with using fabric too. they're endless designs/colours to choose from and you can just cover them with plastic which you can reuse over and over again. check out my pics for two examples. good luck with your search!

The first cake on my Cake Space site is on a fabric covered foam core board. It worked out great and I found a fabric the complimented the design. If anyone wants to look at it: http://cakespace.blogspot.com/ .

icon_biggrin.gif

Michelle104 Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 16

Where do you get foamcore? Hardware Store?

sirius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sirius Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 5:13pm
post #12 of 16

wendysue - i love the space cake!! your son must have been thrilled to pieces.

wendysue Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 5:25pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Where do you get foamcore? Hardware Store?

You can purchase foam core at Hobby Lobby or any store that sells supplies for framing. Even Walmart sells some thicknesses... probably not the heavy stuff, but you could double or triple it if need be. Some people even use wood boards.

I lucked out when my husband brought home tons of presentation boards from work made on heavy foam core... nearly an inch thick. They were going to toss them. icon_lol.gif

wendysue Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 5:26pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius

wendysue - i love the space cake!! your son must have been thrilled to pieces.

Thanks! Glad you liked my site. I don't make too many cakes anymore, but when I do, I usually post them to my site.

This year I'll be making Josh a pirate ship cake. Should be on my site in April. icon_smile.gif

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 5:35pm
post #15 of 16

There are colors of grease resistant boards, I have a yellow-gold one in my cabinet. I got it at Hobby Lobby or Michael's, I can't remember which. I like having colors, too.

My dh got me some clear acrylic, which he cut to the sizes I need. (I really don't have a problem getting boards back, since it's just friends & family.) I will put wrapping paper or fabric under it & attach (somehow?)...

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 5:45pm
post #16 of 16

Just recently I started using the Wilton decorative cake bases that start out silver with a nice embossed look and buying decorative foil to cover them. They sell the foil at a store near me (Do It With Icing!) for .50c a foot so it costs next to nothing and I can take off the foil and re-use the cake bases easily. You can buy it in bulk too and maybe even use florist foil since that is probably water proof too?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%