Ny Based Business

Business By all4god Updated 8 Aug 2005 , 6:41pm by Peachez

all4god Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4god Posted 23 Mar 2005 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 4

hi - i'm thinking of starting a homebased business in NY- can anyone tell me who exactly i should contact- what dept
thanks thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
tiersfromheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 4

Hi ! i'm in Northern New York. You only need to register your business name with the local county clerk if you plan on advertising. And you do not require special permits or inspections UNLESS you will be using Industrial Equipment or opening a shop independent from your home. Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 4

this differes from county to county. Contact the Dept. of Ag. They cover what you are wanting to do. I did need an inspection and town water, If well water it had to be tested. Its called a home processor. Some counties are a no go, others anything goes, and some like where i'm at fall in the middle.

Good luck to you

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 8 Aug 2005 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 4

I'm from Upstate NY and they require the a whole slew of things for a legal home based cake business. You are not allowed to sell cakes made from the oven you use daily...well, I don't have two ovens so I'm already out of the running. They're really serious about this too. A lady I was taking Wilton classes with got busted selling cakes from home without the proper "paperwork" and ended up getting fined thousands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%