Can Anyone Explain The Ending Of The Lakehouse Movie??please

Lounge By kncab Updated 1 Mar 2007 , 5:05am by kncab

kncab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kncab Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 11:53am
post #1 of 12

I have just finished watching the Lakehouse with Sandra Bullock and Keanue Reeves.

I really enjoyed it but I am not sure what I have missed because I don't quiet understand the ending.

Can anyone please explain it for me, it would be greatly appreciated!

11 replies
nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 12

I watched it several months back and was confused too!

tkbdebravo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tkbdebravo Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 12

I loved that movie!

The key was that he was the guy that died after being hit by the bus. (Early in the movie when she was having lunch with her Mom and she went running across the street to help him). She didn't know him at that time and didn't recognize him, but started writing to him shortly after and told him the story about the accident on Valentine's Day (not knowing that he was the one that would be killed).

When he was reminded that it was Valentines Day 2006 he remembered that she had written that story, and went to find her at the plaza. He knew that she would be having lunch with her Mom that day because she had written of the accident in one of their first letters (telling him the name of the plaza).

She realized after his brother told her of his death, that he had been the one that had died in the street, and that he had been there trying to find her. (Basically he died in 2006 before they started writing, which is why he didn't call her, or why he didn't show up for their dinner date). She ran back to the house to leave the letter telling him not to try to find her. By not crossing the street, he avoided getting hit by the bus. She then told him she would be at the house two years later, and to wait until that date and time to find her. That would be their time to meet.

My understanding of it.

icon_smile.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 12

I just watched this movie last weekend, and I loved it!!

kncab Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 12:57am
post #5 of 12

Thanks tkbdebravo.

thats kinda how I percived it too, but the bit that confused me was how they could meet given that she was 2 years ahead of him?

I think I may need to watch it again to connect all the dots properly!

tkbdebravo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tkbdebravo Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 1:09am
post #6 of 12

I think it was just a matter that he would have to wait two years to intersect with where she would be (knowing about their conversations and expecting to see him).

He was able to see her in 2004 (to pick up the book she had forgotten) at the train, but she hadn't started talking with him and didn't know of him. The first time they tried to get together after she knew about him would have worked (to meet at the restaurant) had he not been killed by the bus earlier that year.

I thought it was a clever movie.

kncab Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 1:14am
post #7 of 12

Oh now I get it!!! Thank you so much!!!
I agree it was a clever movie, a bit like the sixth sense don't you think?
I have also heard it is like a movie called 3 wishes starring patrick swayze, I will have to find that movie and watch it!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 3:32am
post #8 of 12

Plot synopsis for The Lake House:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lake_House_(film)

The most confusing movie I've ever seen was Vanilla Sky with Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz and Penelope Cruz - what a waste of talent icon_sad.gif

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 12

I loved The Lake House! Great chick flick icon_lol.gif Another great one is The Wedding Date! And I agree JanH, Vanilla Sky was AWFUL!

Kelly

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 12

I love the lake house movie!!! I was a bit confused too.

And, I just have to agree with JanH....vanilla sky ............watching that movie........I was clueless!

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 4:31am
post #11 of 12

they were always capable of meeting up (as they actually DID in Keanu reeves time before Bullock's character knew she'd be writing him). But for them to both meet in the future required them setting a time and date. Since Reeves character was killed, he was unable to show up at the restaurant. BUT, by having Bullock's character WARN him before that fateful day (in Reeve's time now), she was effectually able to change his history....allowing him to stay alive, and thus meet her 2 years later in his time, but just minutes later in hers (after she wrote the letter of warning)

kncab Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 5:05am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsaxe

they were always capable of meeting up (as they actually DID in Keanu reeves time before Bullock's character knew she'd be writing him). But for them to both meet in the future required them setting a time and date. Since Reeves character was killed, he was unable to show up at the restaurant. BUT, by having Bullock's character WARN him before that fateful day (in Reeve's time now), she was effectually able to change his history....allowing him to stay alive, and thus meet her 2 years later in his time, but just minutes later in hers (after she wrote the letter of warning)

Thanks!!

Now i understand how they were able to meet at the end. I had an idea but that just made it all clearer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%