Help With Buttercream

Decorating By CamilesChef Updated 18 Feb 2007 , 5:02pm by LittleLinda

CamilesChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CamilesChef Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 5:07am
post #1 of 10

I made buttercream a couple days ago...i left it at room temp...then when i looked at it today...i guess the fat from the butter seperated??? because it has the clear liquid. can i fix this?????

9 replies
Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 5:11am
post #2 of 10

mix it up again!
thumbs_up.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 5:13am
post #3 of 10

The first time I did what you did mine had weeped too. I just whipped it back up and it was as good as new.

Lea icon_smile.gif

_angel_1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_angel_1974 Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 10

Yup! Just mix it up again!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 10

That does happen some times to me; but I don't know exactly what conditions make it happen. Like everybody said, mix it back up.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 17 Feb 2007 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 10

Sorry to steal your post, but do you guys leave bc made from butter @ room temp? If so how long is the shelf-life?
Thanks!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 3:13am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

Sorry to steal your post, but do you guys leave bc made from butter @ room temp? If so how long is the shelf-life?
Thanks!

I have left mine out for 1 week without any change of any kind in the icing. This has further been reported several other times on CC. Don't know how much longer than one week you can leave it out before having to put it in the fridge.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 6:51am
post #8 of 10

I've eaten cake iced with buttercream up to 5 days after it's been made and not refrigerated. A 15 second trip to the microwave and the cake and bc tasted like new! This is regular ole buttercream though, not swiss or italian meringue. If the buttercream is sealed well, I would think it would taste fresh for at least that long, and would be ok to eat for a few days longer. Remember, lot's of people just leave butter sitting out anyhow, and the sugar in the buttercream really helps to preserve the butter. At least, that's what I've been told when I've asked. I tend to believe it based on my own experiences now.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 1:25pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks. Still a little leary, but I'll try it for myself first.
Thanks!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 10

I, personally, might make my frosting the day before and leave it out and frost and decorate the cake the next day. Then I refrigerate the leftovers. I wouldn't leave it out a week; but I do hear it's OK.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%