Ot-What Desserts Are You Making For Thanksgiving?

Lounge By PerryStCakes Updated 26 Nov 2005 , 9:36pm by charleydog

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 76

I am only doing 1 cake, the rest are pies and petit fours type things... maybe some cookies?.....

What are you guys making?

75 replies
SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 76

I made (our Thanksgiving is October) a diabetic pumpkin pie, and a diabetic pumpkin cheesecake. I usually make a fruit pie, but someone else brought it this year.

nbowen3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nbowen3 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 76

No cakes thumbsdown.gif but i am making a ton of pies! We are having a huge family get together at my Grandma's and I got stuck with the pies! I'd much rather be making cakes or cookies...anyone have any good pumpkin pie recipies?

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 76

No cake! A pumpkin cheesecake, 2 pumpkin pies, my mile high apple pie, and my cousin is contributing a pan of brownies.

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 76

Hehe - sounds like you guys have a similar thing happening in your families .... are they a little "sick of cake"? (my family doesnt mince words, lol!)

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 76

I'm doing cheesecake, apple pie, date squares... someone is bringing pumpkin and coconut custard.

Sophie-Em Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sophie-Em Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 76

I'm doing pumpkin pies which are in the oven as we speak and I got a request for a chocolate cake torted with chocolate mouse. Big baking begins soon with all the christmas cookies and cakes and pies.

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 76

I'm making a carrot cake and pumpkin pies....yummy!! I can never get enough pumpkin pie!! My mom is doing pumpkin bars and chess pie.

Hugs, ~Denise

emi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emi Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 76

Just finished cleaning my house. Tomorrow I'll be baking and preparing things in advance to be easier on Thursday. I'll be making pumkin bread, my husband's favorite chocolate cake torted with chocolate cream cheese filling and my mom's favorite Greek baklava. My sister will bring my favorite Tiramisu and roasted chestnuts. Oh, I love the holidays.
Emi

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 76

I'm doing a New Orleans Praline cheesecake, Maple Bourbon Pumpkin pie, deep dish pecan pie, holiday bread, and pumpkin cream cheese roll.

mudpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudpie Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 76

We are purists..Pumpkin Pie. Mom's is BEST. I don't even bother.

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:16pm
post #12 of 76

I'm having 18 people over plus us 4 .... we are going to have a chocolate fountain for dipping fruit, a pumpkin pie, pistachio cake with white chocolate frosting, and a sugar free kiwi pie... oh! and I made the kids some turkey cupcakes there were my "fun" project.... I think I may have overdone it in the sweets department ...but... since it's my first time making the turkey I figured I can always make it up with the dessert ... lol[/img]

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:24pm
post #13 of 76

We will join around 100 relatives in Oklahoma....grandpa and grandma bring the turkeys and dressing.... pot luck for everything else. This gathering is so old, that you just know what the great aunts are making... it's the same every year. LOL I"m taking a pumpkin cake with cinnamon buttercream.....piped and decorated with fall flowers and fondant pumpkins. Have to show the family what I've been up to. I've only missed this event once in fifty years..................with my DH proposed, I informed him that we'd be doing Thanksgiving with MY SIDE. LOL.... he didn't back out! There are usually relatives that straggle in that I've never met.... It's an event.

Misdawn Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:25pm
post #14 of 76

Hey emi...I'm coming to YOUR house for Thanksgiving.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:57pm
post #15 of 76

It's funny how very few of us are baking cakes. icon_smile.gif I'm not either, I want to give it a rest and try some other desserts I've been wanting to try. But will be making my sweet potato pies which I love during this time of year. I may also do this apple crisp I saw a recipe for and I want something else....really decadent and rich, but not sure what yet.

And speaking of pies....I notice I'm the first one (I think) to say "Sweet potato pie". Everyone else has said pumpkin. Is this a regional thing? Are you guys using the canned pumpkin?

delectablecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delectablecakes Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 9:04pm
post #16 of 76

I'm actually doing sweet potato pies as well. I'm making apple pies also and only one cake. We always celebrate my uncle's birthday at Thanksgiving since his birthday is on the 26th, so they asked me to bring him a birthday cake along with the pies.

charleydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleydog Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 9:08pm
post #17 of 76

Ok , maybe this is the perfect time to ask... I once spent thanksgiving with a lady from Alabama who made butter milk pie...anyone heard of it?? It was so yummy, I would love a recipe... me being Canadian, I don't know if this is a southern thing or what but it was sure good!!

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 9:12pm
post #18 of 76

I have a recipe for it. Try searching at:

www.recipezaar.com

I think that's where I found it. If it's not there let me know, I'll pm you with it later.

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 9:13pm
post #19 of 76

be fore I got into making cakes, I was always asked to bring main course dishes and side dishes. I LOVE to cook! but now...... all they ever ask me to bring is dessert. Don't get me wrong.... I love that too, but I am missing making the other stuff as well. Oh well!!!
i am making pumpkin pie, Dixie Pie, and Tiramisu..... YUMMY!

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 9:20pm
post #20 of 76

Man, I'm pitiful. I only have one pumpkin pie for Thankgiving. I wanted to make more, but DH wouldn't let me do more. There's only going to be 5 of us though, so I guess we won't have to gorge ourselves.

charleydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleydog Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 9:22pm
post #21 of 76

Thanks gilson6 I found it!!! Thanks so much!!!

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 9:25pm
post #22 of 76

A Chili chocolate torte (sounds gross but it's a hint of spice and cinnamon, very little chili powder.)

I'm also making a spice layer cake with cream cheese frosting. I've never tried crusting cream cheese BC before! wish me luck!

The problem of course, is that I have to make two of each. one for each family

Misdawn Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 10:52pm
post #23 of 76

Ok...what is a dixie pie?

tabithe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabithe Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 11:01pm
post #24 of 76

I'm making pumpkin pies for the first time- a little nervous! I'm also making a spice cake with orange glaze in the Bundt Chrysanthemum pan.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 11:05pm
post #25 of 76

I'll be making pecan pie & a cranberry/pear crisp w/fresh whipped cream. It's actually cooler than 90 degrees here during Thanksgiving, for a change...so I wanted something warm for dessert this time. I just love warm desserts on a cool/cold day or night....YUMMY! icon_smile.gif

Hey...just thought of something...with all this talk of what we'll be eating on Thursday, wouldn't it be cool if we could have an emoticon that's licking it's lips!! hehehe icon_lol.gif

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 11:24pm
post #26 of 76

Hehe I'm going to be making 2 italian apple tarts, 2 pumkin pies, maybe a sweet potatoe pie instead of the pumkin,pizzelles, and cream puffs. Mmmmmmm. icon_biggrin.gif

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 11:25pm
post #27 of 76

I have recently discovered a FABULOUS alternative to traditional pumpkin pie.....Pumpkin Crunch Cake. It is almost exactly like pumpkin pie, but it has a yummy topping that goes on it and boy look out! icon_biggrin.gif

This is what I will be making for my family this year.

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 11:30pm
post #28 of 76

Hmm, care to share your recipe for the Pumpkin Crunch Cake, luv2cake? That sounds really, really good!!!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 11:31pm
post #29 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleydog

Ok , maybe this is the perfect time to ask... I once spent thanksgiving with a lady from Alabama who made butter milk pie...anyone heard of it?? It was so yummy, I would love a recipe... me being Canadian, I don't know if this is a southern thing or what but it was sure good!!

..oh yeah! Buttermilk pie is as sweet as can be! thumbs_up.gif

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 11:34pm
post #30 of 76

My contribution to our family Turkey Day is the desserts...Creme de Menthe Borwnies, Tom's Pumpkin Bars w/Cream Cheese Icing, Peanut Butter Balls, NY Cheesecake and Spritz Press Cookies! The heck with dinner!! Have a great one everybody!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%