Question About Marizpan!!!

Decorating By RaRaRobyn Updated 22 Nov 2005 , 10:36pm by alimonkey

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 13

Now, the most annoying thing to me in the world, is cake crumbs getting in the icing. I can't stand it and I could just kick something or someone when it happens. Just is one of my biggest cake pet peeves. So I know marizpan helps to prevent this..so here's my question.

#1-I've never made it before, so what all is in it? Isn't it like, almonds?

#2-What do I do to keep the crumbs ON the cake, if its for a Baby's First Birthday? My daughter turns 1 at the beginning of February, but we'll be moving to Alaska and I'm doing her party mid-January..so I guess my question is..is marizpan ok to put on a cake for a child who isn't supposed to have peanuts until they're 2?

Thanks so much for the help!

12 replies
RaRaRobyn Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 13

I just realized I spelled marzipan wrong each time..my fringers just kinda flow on the keyboard lol..I can never spell Christmas right either..always put the "s" before the "i"

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 13

Well, I can't help much with the marzipan but I too despise the crummies. I usually brush away the crumbs with a pastry brush then put a thin crumb coat of my BC then a heavier coat that will be my final coat. Also, i find using a light touch when trying to smooth helps me not dig into the cake and pick up crumbs.
Hope this helps some!

dori

ps-I'm not sure if we are allowed to upload photos with the faces showing in the forums. I know in the galleries we aren't. The faces have to be blurred out.

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 13

I don't usually have problems with crumbs if I use a really thin crumb coat (almost the consistency of mayo). But for chocolate cakes covered in white buttercream (GRRRRRR) I usually use a syrup made confectioners sugar and pour over it. After if sets up, it seals in ALL of the crumbs. I still crumb coat that though - just to make sure.

Oh, and I must add, your baby is SOOOOO adorable! She looks like a very happy child. I just LOVE babies!!!!

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 13

marzipan is fine for kids. The only reason you don't give them peanuts is so they don't choke on them. The almounds in marzipan are ground smooth. I'll post the recipe later when I have more time

Randa_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randa_000 Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 13

I found this recipe...has anyone tried this? I am afraid to use the raw egg in the uncooked version.

Cooked Marzipan
3 cups sugar
1 cup water
4 cups ground blanched almonds

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 13

OK - you can by marzipan pre-made in the supermarket - oteker (i think that's how it's spelled) makes it. It's right next to the almond paste by the same company in your flour/sugar aisle.

Let me say that while I LOVE marzipan, many people in the USA don't - its very popular in the UK to cover your fruitcakes in marzipan, then fondant.

You can also do marzipan from scratch - someone kindly gave the recipe above. Warning -- it dries out rather quickly, so roll it out btwn 2 sheets of plastic wrap and keep any marzipan you are not working with covered. Crisco up your hands while working and cornstarch is a drying agent, if you need that.

RaRaRobyn Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for all the help ladies!! I would really appreciate a couple recipes!

I've been told, my several pediatricians here in the USA, that you shouldn't give any peanut products to children under 2 in case of allergy, not choking hazard..but it could be different other places.

Is there anything else I can put over the cake to keep it from crumbing in the icing?

Thanks again!!

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 13

hi,

I wouldn't give children under 2 any kind of nuts because of the allergic reaction they might get. Allergy for the nuts is usually very bad one. (throat swollows up and you cann't breath) it is very unlikely that your kid may have it but it still is better to be safe than sorry.

I love marzipan myself and it is really easy to make.
I put almonds in the water and let them boil for a sec. then peel the brown cover off.
now all you need to do is to put them in the grounder and ground them as powder as they get. start adding icing sugar and a little water til it is to the concistency you want. Dont remember the amounts because i just add sugar til I like the taste and thickness.

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 13

Ups, forgot to mention that i also add a little bit of brandy in the end as well.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 8:48pm
post #11 of 13

I never used to like marzipan, but I love it now. Wouldn't risk it for baby's first, though.

Here are a couple of recipes from a book I have called "The All-Colour Cake Decorating Course" by Elaine McGregor

UNCOOKED MARZIPAN
The traditional marzipan tends to be oily and crumbly, a little like short pastry, when you roll it out. Because it is uncooked, it is not advisable to store it for more than 2 or 3 days before use. If you do have to store it, wrap it tightly in clingfilm and put it in a cool part of the regrigerator. You can also feeze it for up to 6 months. If you are using uncooked marzipan to cover a cake which is to be kept, add a T of alcohol to act as a preservative.

1 lb caster (superfine) sugar sifted
1 lb. confectioners sugar, sifted
1 lb ground almonds
1 T rum, brandy, whiskey or a few drops of lemon juice or orange flower water (opt)
2 large or 3 small eggs (or 4 yolks only)
Makes a generous covering for a 9" round cake.

Combine the 2 sugars. Add ground almonds and mix thoroughly. Make a well in the center and add the rum or other flavoring. Gradually add the lightly beaten eggs and stir with a wooden spoon to form a stiff paste. You may not need all the egg. If it is too soft it will be difficult to handle.

Gather together with you hands and knead until well combined.

Knead lightly on a sugard work surface until smooth. Avoid overkneading or it may become greasy.

COOKED ALMOND PASTE
This is a quick-drying paste that is not oily. It keeps well for several weeks in the refrigerator, but if possible make 24 hours before using. Store in an airtight container or double wrapping of clingfilm. If it dries, moisten with a little egg white. Cooked almond paste tastes better than the uncooked and you avoid any grittiness of texture by dissolving the sugar in water before using it.

1 lb granulated sugar
150 ml/3/4 c water
lg pinch cream of tartar
12 oz ground almonds
2 egg whites

Put the sugar and water into a large pan over a very low heat. Stire with a metal spoon until all the sugar has dissolved.

When the sugar has completely dissolved, addt he cream of tartar and bring the syrup to a boil Boil rapidly without stirring until it reaches soft ball stage (240)

Stop the boiling by plunging the base of the saucepan in a basin of ice water. Stir in ground almonds.

Stir in egg whites. Return to low heat and stir until it begins to thicken slightly.

Turn onto a work surface lightly sprinkled with icing sugar and work with a spatula until it begins to cool and thicken. As you work the paste, sprinkle icing sugar to keep it from sticking.

When it gets cool enough, knead with your hands. It will take up to half its weight in icing sugar. The finished aste should not feel dry to the touch. Be careful not to add too much sugar at a time or it will become too dry and will crumble when rolled or worked. The more sugar you add, the harder you will have to work to disperse the oils produced by the almonds.

Store in an airtight jar or ziptop bag.

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 10:08pm
post #12 of 13

Yes, the peanut thing is for allergies rather than choking. I gave my daughter a peanut butter and jelly sandwich when she was two, and then I found out that they shouldn't have peanuts until 4 because they may get a severe allergic reaction. OOPS! Chalk that up to a first time mom! Fortunately she had no allergic reaction and now begs to have a spoon dipped in the peanut butter jar while she is watching her shows on tv.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 10:36pm
post #13 of 13

According to my pediatrician, whom I trust completely, once they're 2 it's OK as long as there are no other food allergies. If there are other food allergies, they recommend waiting longer to introduce highly allergenic foods like nuts and strawberries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%