Who Does Scratch Cakes Here?

Baking By ellepal Updated 23 Nov 2005 , 3:41am by ellepal

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 12:22am
post #31 of 50

Wow!! Thank-you so much for all of this awesome input!! I can't wait to try my scratch cake......I need a signature cake that is really yummy and different!! I'll post the results!!

Ellen

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 12:33am
post #32 of 50

The best scratch chocolate cake I've found is the one on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can! So chocolatey!!!

ellepal Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:26am
post #33 of 50

Ok, another scratch cake question:
(as Triplet Mom's scratch cake recipe is baking as I write)

What about wedding cakes from scratch? I know you have a few days lead way with a box mix, but is it the same for a wedding cake? Does the cake dry out more quickly? Can one freeze it and it still taste decent one week later? What are your experiences? (I may ask this question in yet one other thread!!)

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:41am
post #34 of 50

I am so glad so many people enjoy the art of baking.
I love to bake everything from cookies, cakes, croissants to bread ..anything that i can put in the oven basiccaly. icon_smile.gif
I don't like when people make comment on scratch cakes ..that it must be an ego to say "i baked it from scratch"
People have their choices...and i love baking from scratch.
Some enjoy and grew up with box mix and that is ok ofcourse.
I personally grewing eating everything that was made from scratch.
We had fruits and vegetables growing in our backyard..almost everything was organic.
So i can taste a box mix, even doctored up one .
And for me the box mixes are way to sweet.
It like with chocolate with cheaps one you only taste the sugar not the true chocolate.
Just my 2 cents. icon_cool.gif

AShiana

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 4:00am
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashianadotkom

I am so glad so many people enjoy the art of baking.
I love to bake everything from cookies, cakes, croissants to bread ..anything that i can put in the oven basiccaly. icon_smile.gif
I don't like when people make comment on scratch cakes ..that it must be an ego to say "i baked it from scratch"
People have their choices...and i love baking from scratch.
Some enjoy and grew up with box mix and that is ok ofcourse.
I personally grewing eating everything that was made from scratch.
We had fruits and vegetables growing in our backyard..almost everything was organic.
So i can taste a box mix, even doctored up one .
And for me the box mixes are way to sweet.
It like with chocolate with cheaps one you only taste the sugar not the true chocolate.
Just my 2 cents. icon_cool.gif

AShiana

It's funny because I grew up eating box mixes and I can definitely tell when a cake is baked from scratch... There's a definite difference. You may think I'm wierd, but I actually prefer mixes. icon_lol.gif I guess it's just what I'm accustomed to.

I've been curious about this... How many people have had customers ask them if they baked from scratch or box????

I've been decorating for 13 years and I think I've only had two people ask me. I have no problem telling them I use mixes..My cakes rock!! thumbs_up.gif

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 4:01am
post #36 of 50

Hi, everyone, I have just a "few" questions: icon_confused.gif

1. With the simple syrup, do you let it cool & how long before brushing it on the cake?
2. How warm OR cooled should the cake layers be?
3. How long do you wait before icing the cake & do you ice it with buttercream icing???

Thanks for all of your help. icon_smile.gif

ellepal Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 4:02am
post #37 of 50

ok.....just finished baking my scratch cakes!! Could not wait to taste them, so I had to shave off the tops right away.

I have three words:

OH MY GOSH!!!

This cake is TO DIE for!! Thank you triplet mom!! Kudos to you!

The only problem I forsee with this cake is that it does not quite rise the same way a box mix does. I am not sure how to alleviate that problem, although it did rise somewhat. I may just have to fill up the pan more, or make a double batch.

It had the richness/moistness that I liked from the pillsbury, but it just tasted so delightful. I did add in extra vanilla to give it the flavor. I am curious to see how it cuts, and how well it holds up.

I think offering a cake from scratch would raise my prices, though....a bit more labor intensive, but worth the results.
Thanks again, all!!

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 1:57pm
post #38 of 50

Cool! Isn't it so yummy? I'm so gald you liked the recipe, it really is my favourite. You are right on the rising though so just be sure your baking powder is really fresh. I also usually double my recipe as well. Try it with some raspberry filling, that's my hubby's favourite, but you can use anything!

Happy baking!

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:05pm
post #39 of 50

Ellepal - did you make the chocolate or yellow?

I tried Sarah Phillips' yellow cake last night and it was SUPER! It makes 2 9", but I needed 8" so I had enough leftover for a 6" layer. I couldn't stop eating it. But I have to make a chocolate cake today, and I'm thinking of trying Tripletmom's.

ellepal Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:15pm
post #40 of 50

I did the yellow. After the cake cooled, we sliced it and put jam on it. Oh!! It tasted sooooooooo good!!!! Just a divine flavor!! I think when I make cakes for home, this will be the recipe.

However, I think I am going to stick to a box mix/extender for my ordered cakes. The scratch cake seems to be a bit crumbly (I followed the recipe to a tee), and I just foresee problems with it, especially when trying to tier it. icon_sad.gif I just worry about how long it will stay, and will it be too crumbly, etc. Oh well!!! I'll keep trying recipes, though!!

What is Sarah Phillips cake??
Ellen

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:21pm
post #41 of 50

After baking for 55 min, these cakes were supermoist, even to the point that I thought the 6" that I cut into was slightly underdone. Not so! This morning the texture was absolutely perfect.

The Ultimate (Yellow) Butter Cake Recipe
Makes 2, 9-inch cakes. Recipe By :Sarah Phillips, Baking 9-1-1, Simon and Schuster, c 2003
I created the Ultimate Butter Cake to be a rich, moist and tender treat because I was tired of eating dry, flavorless cakes. It has a fine to medium crumb in texture and is somewhat dense, but much lighter than a pound cake. Many brides have selected this for use in a wedding cake because it can be made in so many flavors (and is quite flavorful) and doesn't need a lot of trimming. It can be easily filled and frosted with many types of recipes and decorated or served plain with fruit. It's now my family's favorite all-occasion cake! The cake is a good keeper, keeping several days at room temperature well-wrapped in plastic wrap or frozen for up to two or three months, wrapped in plastic and then placed in an airtight bag or container.

4 cups unbleached all purpose flour -- spoon into measuring cup and level to top
3 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter (use cold; does not have to be at room temperature )
2 cups sugar -- or superfine sugar
3 large eggs -- (use cold; does not have to be at room temperature )
1 1/2 cups whole or 2% milk (use cold; does not have to be at room temperature)
1 tbsp vanilla extract with 1/2 tsp almond extract or 1 teaspoon orange or lemon extract or 1 tablespoon grated orange or 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon peel or 1/4 teaspoon citrus oil

NOTE: Cake is mixed using a 325 watt KitchenAid Mixer. If you are using a more powerful one, adjust the mixing times downward or use the descriptions rather than mixing times with the instructions, otherwise the baked cake will fall apart and/or crumble or dome in the middle from overmixing.

Position oven shelf in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 and grease two 9-inch, pref light colored pans.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

Beat the butter with a stand mixer low until softened. (If the butter is cold, it will warm quickly from the beaters). Add the sugar in a steady stream at the side of the bowl. Increase speed to medium and beat for 3 minutes until light yellow and fluffy. Stop the mixer and scrape the side and bottom of the bowl with a large rubber spatula.

With the mixer on low, add the eggs one at a time and beat for 20 seconds after each addition. After the eggs have been added, increase the mixer speed to medium and beat the mixture for 2 minutes. (If the eggs are cold, the batter will curdle slightly. It's ok. It will come together as the batter warms from the beaters. ) Set the kitchen timer to help you keep track of the time. The mixture will become fluffy and aerated.

With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture in 3 equal portions, alternating with the milk in 2 equal portions, beginning and ending with the flour. Add the flour and liquid ingredients in increments quickly; do not wait in between additions too long as you don't want to over mix the batter. (If the milk is cold, the batter will curdle slightly. It's ok. It will come together when you add the flour.)

Add in extracts and beat for 1 minute or until smooth. The batter should be thick and fluffy.

Divide the batter in the prepared baking pans (should fill 1/2 full) and lightly smooth the tops. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top feels firm and gives slightly when touched and will shrink slightly from the side of the pan. The cake will be slightly browned. If you insert a toothpick in the middle and remove, there should be a few moist crumbs attached, but not batter. The cakes will have a slight dome and small cracks on top right when it comes from the oven, but as the cakes cool, they will flatten on top and the tiny cracks will disappear.

Remove cakes to cool on wire racks for 10 minutes and then un-mold onto wire cake racks to cool thoroughly. Be careful, the cakes are delicate when warm.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:24pm
post #42 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellepal

Hi.....I was wondering what people's personal experiences are with making scratch cakes. I would like to know what you do, what works, what doesn't, etc.

I am looking for a delicious, moist, consistent scratch cake. Is that possible?

From what I hear, scratch cakes are inconsistent and can be dry and corn-bread like.

Any thoughts?

Ellen

That is all I do!!!! and what I have found is that once you find a good recipe or two, you stick with it. icon_smile.gif

Is not that the cakes are inconsistent but they are less forgiving of underbeating and overbeating and can sink, shrink, dry out if you don't mix and bake it right.

They are more delicate than other cakes and I have found that out with a quite a few disasters... But I like doing them scratch so I have learned to do it better and avoid mishaps, but still sometimes they do happen.

I add to my cakes once they are baked and completely cooled and simple syrup to soak them and add moisture. This keeps them nice and moist for days and last longer...

I had a problem with cakes sinking and it is my oven that is causing the problem, after lots of troubleshooting. I add one tablespoon of Meringue Powder per recipe and that helps.

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 3:41pm
post #43 of 50

Alimonkey, I love your directions!!! thumbs_up.gif I often have questions about beating times & when/how often I should scrape the bowl--even with package mixes. icon_confused.gif

With the recipe you've just posted, I have 4 quick questions icon_redface.gif :
1. I have a 300 watt KA, so would your exact times be OK?
2. Do you sift your unbleached all-purpose flour before measuring, after or not at all?
3. Will salted butter work if I leave out the 1 tsp. salt or at least not use as much or will that mess the cake up?
4. Do you flour the baking pans?

Can't wait to try this cake!
Thanks, Bakersofcakes

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 4:06pm
post #44 of 50

Glad to hear your that you enjoyed your scratch cakes. icon_smile.gif The yellow
cake recipe posted has a lot of butter so it's not surprising that it didn't rise more. Haven't tried that one. Since ya'll loved it so I'll have to give it a try next week.

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 5:48pm
post #45 of 50
Quote:

What about wedding cakes from scratch? I know you have a few days lead way with a box mix, but is it the same for a wedding cake? Does the cake dry out more quickly? Can one freeze it and it still taste decent one week later? What are your experiences? (I may ask this question in yet one other thread!!)

I have never done a cake mix wedding cake. People from around here are really particular about their foods and desserts and I just don't think I could get away with it. For baking ahead of time - chocolate layers tend to stay better for longer period of time, so I bake those first. I bake my white cakes closer to the deadline. Other flavors - I am still in a trial and error phase, since everyone seems to want chocolate or white lately.

The tick for me is I make all my icings and fillings and gumpaste/fondant things ahead of time. One of the last things I do is bake the layers. The latest I have ever baked layers is the Friday night before a Sat. evening delivery. It's a hectic way to do it, but it can be done.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 6:02pm
post #46 of 50
Quote:

Ok, another scratch cake question:
(as Triplet Mom's scratch cake recipe is baking as I write)

Since I soak my cakes with simple syrup, I have been able to bake them 3 days in advance. But I won't go earlier than that.

I haven't done weddings, but I am doing one that is quite big, like for a wedding, two tiers square and 2 sheets (9 x 13) for a total of 100 people. This is for this Friday night and I am baking them all today.

I soak them as close as possible before the date fo the event. Like this one for Friday, I bake them all today, and start soaking them and decorating them tomorrow night.

I would normally for a cake on Friday, would bake on Wednesday, decorate on Thursday and deliver on Friday, but because Thursday is Thanksgiving, I am busy with family and don't want to take too much of that time decorating cakes.

CSN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSN Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 9:35pm
post #47 of 50

this message is for TamiAZ
After reading your comments and seeing that you say that your cakes rock I felt curious and had to take a peek at your photos. You're right girl, your cakes rock. WOW they are beautiful! Keep up the good work.

ashianadotkom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashianadotkom Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 11:00pm
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSN

After reading your comments and seeing that you say that your cakes rock I felt curious and had to take a peek at your photos. You're right girl, your cakes rock. WOW they are beautiful! Keep up the good work.

Your cakes are beautiful TamiAZ!!
I am a cake baker (since i was 15 on and off) and still working on my decorating . I have been only decorating for less than a year.

Happy baking
AShiana

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 11:06pm
post #49 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSN

Yikes.... I didn't mean my cakes rocked in that way... icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I was referring to the way they tasted!! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the kind words!!

ellepal Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 3:41am
post #50 of 50

Agreed, Tami!! Rockin' cakes, all from scratch!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%