Scooby Doo Cake

Decorating By tp7 Updated 24 Nov 2005 , 4:04pm by MrsMissey

tp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tp7 Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 12

I'm doing a SD theme for my soon to be 5yr and ned some cake ideas. I think I want to make the Mystery Machine Van. I was planing on either buying a poundcake or making a loaf shaped cake. Then some how decorating it to look like the van. Has anyone done this before and are there ant tips i should know before atempting this? Like I'm not sure how to do the name on the side of the van. Should I somehow copy it and print it out and maybe use fondant to create it? Same w/the flowers that are on the van. I'm pretty new to this so any advice would help!! Thanks
LL

11 replies
booberfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booberfrog Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 12

I think I've actually seen a cake pan shaped like a 3-d van by Wilton, I think it's retired though might find it on ebay.

tp7 Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 12

I forgot to mention I want it to be a 3D cake and his party is next weekend.

booberfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booberfrog Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 12

Here is the link to a 3-d cake pan on ebay, only 5 hours left and no bids, might take a look
http://cgi.ebay.com/Van-Cake-Pan_W0QQitemZ4418688208QQcategoryZ25466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 12

Here are a couple of ideas that I found:
http://www.birchfields.net/gallery/albums/crafts_cakes_mysterymachine/DSCF0013.jpg

Hope that helps you some.
LL

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 12

Go to google.com and do an image search. Back when I was lookign for ideas for my nephew's birthday cake I came across several pretty cool cakes of the van. I'd search with words like cake, scooby doo, van

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 12

Here is a google search for mystery machine cake

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=mystery%20machine%20cake&sa=N&tab=wi

For a #d cake I would look at the instuctions for the semi truck and adapt it to a van...
http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/cakepict/semi.htm

Hope it helps

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 12:53am
post #8 of 12

Hi! I made a sports car out of a frozen pound cake for my brother's b-day several years ago & used small chocolate doughnuts for the 4 wheels. Actually, I used chocolate iced doughnuts, but chocolate cake doughnuts would work, too. Just an idea I thought I'd throw out to you. icon_smile.gif GOOD LUCK!!! icon_wink.gif

tp7 Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks everyone, How heavy is fondant? If I made the flowers and the light green w/the orange lettering and stuck it on the side of the cake would that hold? Or should I just try to do it w/icing only? What about Royal icing, I could just make a thin layer on a piece of wax paper and design it and let it harden and stick it to the side. I just don't know how good I would be at designing the cake free hand on the side of the cake. I think i'm going to buy a pound cake and stack it top to top to get the shape of the van and use chocolate covered donuts for the wheels.

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 1:21pm
post #10 of 12

That sounds like a good plan.... Royal icing sounds like a good idea also. Just be sure to make extra of the design in case of breakage.
Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 4:37am
post #11 of 12

Here is one I did for my son's birthday I took a 1/2 sheet cake and cut it to the shape I wanted. I actually drew it out on a peice of poster board, cut it out laid it on top of the cake and cut around it, I did it this way to make sure I would get enough serving and to save money on purchasing a pan to use only once. icon_smile.gif Well I can't figure out how to attach it look in my photos it is in there. icon_confused.gif [/img]

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp7

Thanks everyone, How heavy is fondant? If I made the flowers and the light green w/the orange lettering and stuck it on the side of the cake would that hold? Or should I just try to do it w/icing only? What about Royal icing, I could just make a thin layer on a piece of wax paper and design it and let it harden and stick it to the side. I just don't know how good I would be at designing the cake free hand on the side of the cake. I think i'm going to buy a pound cake and stack it top to top to get the shape of the van and use chocolate covered donuts for the wheels.

..the weight of the fondant depends on how thick/thin you roll it out! You can attach fondant cut out pieces or flowers to the cake with either, royal icing, BC icing, piping gel or by making fondant glue (mix a small piece of fondant with water until you get a soupy mixture)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%