What Brand/size Of Airbrush Color Do You Use?

Decorating By SugarBakerz Updated 1 Mar 2007 , 3:55am by heidihill

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 3

Well it is official, Sugarcraft has shipped my very 1st airbrush that DH bought me for V-day.... I was wondering what brand and size of coloring do you use? I see that there are a few different sizes and brands and thought I would get a general consensus from fellow cc'ers. Also, if you order online, aside from CC and sugarcraft where do you order them from. I am certain no one locally sells the colors, so it will be all internet for me.

2 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 3

Hiya Suzie,
I also got my airbrush from sugarcraft. I use the Americolor airbrush colors. You can get those in the 4 oz. or 9 oz. size. If you are going to do a lot of airbrushing I would go for the 9oz. size. But if not, you could stick with the 4 oz. and be ok. They do last quite a while. If you think bout it it only takes like a couple teaspoons of color to paint a cake most of the time less than that. So they last quite a while. You could also see if you could get chefmaster colors too. Those are good and so are the ones from bk (bakerycraft). Just make sure that you use only airbrush colors in your airbrush.

heidihill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidihill Posted 1 Mar 2007 , 3:55am
post #3 of 3

Hi chaptips and anyone else who might know.

I need to airbrush an entire 3 tier fondant cake a vivid deep purple colour. I bought the Kroma Kolors Violet airbush colour from KopyKate. I did a test run on a piece of fondant of white and a piece of purple fondant. I was happy with the shade of purple it produced.

It did not work well. To get an opaque enough colour so much had to be sprayed that it all pooled together in water spots. The colour is so watery.

I am in Australia and I haven't been able to find the AmeriMist colours here. The CC Shop says they are super strength and "eliminate the need to overspray so moisture will not accumulate, water spots will not appear".

The Chefmaster colours are available in Australia. I'm just wondering if these are going to be any more opaque/strong than what I already have. I still have to order it from interstate.

Should I go with the Chefmaster or try and order the AmeriMist from the US, which could take weeks to come. I don't even know if the shade of these brands will be suitable.

The cake is needed for the 17th of March.

Any help appreciated
Heidi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%