My First Fondant Cake (Long...)

Decorating By dogwood Updated 15 Feb 2007 , 9:09pm by twindees

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 8

Luckily this cake was for my Wilton Course 3 class. First while putting it together I torted the top layer where one part was a lot thinner than the other part and in the process of putting it on the cake it broke all to pieces so I had to glue it together. One corner kept falling back off as I was trying to crumb coat it so I finally stuck a bamboo skewer in it hoping to hold it together. Well, I got to my class and the icing had slid off that corner so I fixed that part again. I think it didn't stay because I had forgotten to buy a box for it and had put my big tupperware cake taker lid over it the night before (I think that kept it from crusting). Ok, I got my fondant on and I could see the dips where the cake's cracks were and I thought well that's ok I'll cover it with the bow. I had a couple of funky bottom corners where my fondant got crinkled so I made the cute little flowers to cover that up. At this point the cake looks pretty good so I decide to go ahead and take it to work (that's how I get rid of most of my practice and class cakes). Now I'm in the parking garage preparing to take the cake in to work and what do I do? icon_twisted.gif I drop it!! icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif It lands upside down and slides part way under a pickup truck. I get down on my hands and knees (in my work suit) to drag out the cake. It's still in the box but the bow had popped off and most of my flowers were scattered under the truck (they flew out the sides of the box)!!! icon_cry.gif Being that it was fondant the actual cake was still intact with just a few cracks in it so it was still edible but I had to explain to everyone why it looked so awful. I think this cake was doomed from the beginning!!! I'm glad I got pictures while it still looked decent. icon_rolleyes.gif
LL

7 replies
mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 8

poor thing! what a cake...I swear some cakes are just doomed right from the start (as has been the case for me several times).

dogwood Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 8

This one was definitely doomed from the beginning! I forgot to mention that it was supposed to have a bead border on the bottom that I totally forgot about! icon_redface.gif

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 8

Considering all the trials you went thru before you got the cake decorated, I think it looks fantastic. I like the flowers on the corners. I am so sorry that you dropped it on the way into work. I bet it still tasted good. That is the main thing. Plus, you got a photo. Can't wait to see your next cake!!

Cindy

dogwood Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for your comments Cindy6250. Everybody did say that it tasted great. The raspberry lovers especially liked because when I torted it I used raspberry filling. icon_biggrin.gif The whole experience was frustrating though and, of course, I like for people to see my cakes when they look good especially from a sales perspective.

I see that you're from Memphis. I don't think I've seen anybody else on here from this area. Nice to know there are neighbors on the site. icon_smile.gif

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 8

There are quite a few folks on here from Memphis and the surrounding area. Are you in Memphis?
We have a little informal group that gets together about once a month and have lunch together. It's a lot of fun. If you are interested in getting together with us, pm me and I will give you the scoop on our next get together.

Cindy

dogwood Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 8

I'm from Memphis although I have a Millington address now. I sent you a pm so that you can give me the details on when and where you all meet.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 8

The cake looks great

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%