Finally Finished Rubik's Cube...

Decorating By edencakes Updated 20 Nov 2005 , 12:07pm by bigcatz

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 5:02pm
post #31 of 43

Wow, this cake is fantastic. You did a great job. I love the colors and the way you staggered the layers. Very imaginative...Congratulations on a great cake.

Jenc95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenc95 Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 5:36pm
post #32 of 43

This is amazing! How did you stagger them without them breaking? Great job!!

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 5:48pm
post #33 of 43

You did an amazing job....It is just wonderful.. icon_smile.gif

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 6:24pm
post #34 of 43

ummm... WOW. I didn't realize I'd get so many responses to this! Thanks everyone for your super-kind words!

Okay, first of all I made the fondant squares a few days in advance, and let dry. I made a dozen of each color (to allow for breakage). They are exactly 2" square, but next time I think I may make them a touch bigger.

I baked six 8" square cakes, each about 1 1/4" tall after leveling. Filled and stacked each layer on 8" cake boards, iced with crusting buttercream. One layer at a time, I took my black CRUSTING buttercream in a bag, fitted with a basketweave tip, and piped over where the black would be seen (ie on top of the corners and the 'grid' on the sides). I let it crust and smoothed with my fingers, then pressed on the squares according to the cube I used as a guide.

Then I 'marked' where the next layer would go to use as a guide for my support, centering as best I could. I dowelled as for any stacked cake and repeated the process until I was done.

That's all there is to it! I should have made the cakes a bit shorter, because it wound up almost an inch taller than it is wide (due to fillings, etc) but I don't think it's too noticable. Hopefully no one at the wedding will whip out a tape measure! icon_lol.gif (it's a groom's cake)

edencakes Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 7:49pm
post #35 of 43

I just remembered I forgot a couple of things icon_redface.gif

I used the back of a knife to press the lines between the 'cubes', and I used three long bamboo skewers through the whole thing before I put on the top fondant squares, to anchor it all together.

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 7:51pm
post #36 of 43

WOW!!!!!
It's perfect! Very nice job!!!!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 8:28pm
post #37 of 43

You did a really good job. Did you use dowels and are the 2nd and 3rd layers on their own cake boards??? I am sure the bride and groom are gonna love it! icon_smile.gif

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 9:25pm
post #38 of 43

Can you post your picture to the gallery so I can put it in my favorites?

edencakes Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 9:32pm
post #39 of 43

traci: yes, the top two layers are on cake boards and the lower two layers are dowelled.

kerri: I will as soon as I get a better pic (with better background) either once my kitchen is clean icon_redface.gif or once I set it up at the reception.

Thanks!

Jenc95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenc95 Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 9:52pm
post #40 of 43

Thanks for the instructions! That is so neat! My 12 year old won't believe me that it is all cake!

peachstate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachstate Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 2:54am
post #41 of 43

That is a great job. Dont forget to put it in the gallery too!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 12:09am
post #42 of 43

This brings back memories...never could master it icon_cry.gif

This is one terrific cake. thumbs_up.gif

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 12:07pm
post #43 of 43

You did such an awesome job!! It looks so real! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%