Fondant Tiers

Decorating By MillyCakes Updated 16 Feb 2007 , 3:42am by Wendoger

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 7

Okay - I am having an awful time with tiered cakes covered in fondant. They tend to buldge in the center. I don't usually have buldge problems (other than my own waist icon_redface.gif ) and it must be with the boards under each cake. What do you all put between your tiered cakes to keep those heavy layers sturdy?

6 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 7

you need to let the cake settle before putting the fondant on it. the weight of the cake should be supported by each tier's dowels, not the tier below.

MillyCakes Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 7

When I make a nontiered cake with fondant - I have no buldge. Something happens when I start to tier them. Almost like when you don't use a sturdy enough board under a buttercream cakes and the icing cracks - thats how it is with my fondant cakes. I use enough dowels to support the tiers - I can only assume I need thicker/sturdy boards. Would it be to much to use plywood/masonite boards between tiers?

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 7

you could be cutting your dowels too short by just a fraction as well.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 7

Are you using a single cardboard circle between tiers or doubling them?

MillyCakes Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 1:31am
post #6 of 7

I am doubling them. Does anyone use masonite boards between tiered cakes? Would they be too heavy?

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 3:42am
post #7 of 7

nope, just cardboard...I cut my dowels a little too high at first....just in case they settle....which has happened in the past!
thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%