Royal Icing

Decorating By dcalimopulos Updated 15 Feb 2007 , 8:52pm by torki

dcalimopulos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcalimopulos Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 8

I am unsure how much royal icing to make for a 12 inch heart cake?? Does anyone have a good royal icing reciepe?

7 replies
SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 8

What are you using the RI for? I use the royal icing recipe found here under the recipe section!

dcalimopulos Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 8

I want to cover a heart cake for a wedding shower. Someone had told me that Royal Icing covers nice and evenly?

jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 8

are you planning on covering the cake in royal icing? royal icing tends to get quite hard and crunchy and doesn't have a *great* flavor. most people use buttercream or fondant... better flavor, doens't harden up as much.
Royal is generally used for decorations and embellishments (flowers, plaques, colorflow, letters/numbers, etc).
HTH icon_biggrin.gif
Jill

dcalimopulos Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 8

I just printed out that recipe...thnxs

dcalimopulos Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you for that info....but the person I am making the cake for does not like buttercream?

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 8

Dont cover the cake in RI is hard and it will crumbe when cut, It's a big NO NO, just for dummy cakes

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 8

You can use Royal icing to cover cakes ..I have a few cake deco books and web instructions that use Royal icing to cover. You have to add Glycerine (glycerol) to the icing which prevents it from setting too hard.

HTH icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%