Nickel Cake?

Decorating By mamafrogcakes Updated 21 Nov 2005 , 3:31am by traci

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 9

A friend just called me and asked me if I could make a cake look like a nickel. She would want the entire round cake a nickel, not something with smaller nickels on it. How in the world?! The good news is that Jefferson's mug would not be hard to duplicate but what would I do this out of?? My first thought would be a fondant covered cake, painted with silver luster dust and then outline Jefferson with black. Anyone have any other ideas???? Thanks!

8 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 12:14am
post #2 of 9

Couldnt you just use a edible image?

charleydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleydog Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 12:14am
post #3 of 9

My only other idea (which, I don't know if it makes sense) what if you used little "worms" of fondant underneath the real fondant in the shape of the head and facial features to make it stick out from the cake a little?

I hope this makes sense...sounds fun whatever you decide..

thumbs_up.gif

mistygaildunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistygaildunn Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 12:16am
post #4 of 9

I'm thinking edible images, and modify it a little with your luster dust on top of the image.

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 12:19am
post #5 of 9

I like Charley's idea... do the outline with strips of fondant (at least the main ones) and then cover with fondant and finish with any small details you couldn't get underneath. And of course, luster dust!

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 12:56am
post #6 of 9

Wow this should be fun and a cool cake too! can't wait to see it....
I found 1 picture of a cake that is a nickel but its not a great photo.
Good Luck and I can't wait to see it!
LL

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 1:09pm
post #7 of 9

I found this cake and thought it would help. It looks like fondant details on top of a fondant or bc cake, then most likely airbrushed with luster dust. I can't remember where I found the picture, but hope it helps. Good luck with your cake!
LL

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 20 Nov 2005 , 1:10pm
post #8 of 9

I found this cake and thought it would help. It looks like fondant details on top of a fondant or bc cake, then most likely airbrushed with luster dust. I can't remember where I found the picture, but hope it helps. Good luck with your cake!
LL

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 3:31am
post #9 of 9

It is amazing what people will ask for! I always seem to get these kind of orders. I am thinking edible image...lay it on the cake...and then maybe use some silver luster dust. This is all I can really come up with.

I hope you will post pics and tell us all how you did it. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%