Liability Question

Business By bonniebakes Updated 18 Nov 2005 , 7:30pm by mamafrogcakes

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 9

I have a kind of silly question...

Because of licensing regulations in my area, I don't sell my cakes (long story). But a friend asked me to make a cake for a brithday party for her child and I agreed to - as a favor.

When I was telling my husband about it tonight, he brought up an interesting point - would I be responsile if someone gots sick (g-d forbid!) from eating something I made that they ate at a party, or was given to them - even if I didn't sell it? what would the liability be?

8 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 9

People bring cakes and desserts all the time to friends houses and church fellowships, etc. I wouldn't worry about it at all. icon_smile.gif

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 9

I would think not. Unless you're using a raw egg filling, the chances of someone getting sick from a baked good are near zero.

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 9

you're no more liable than if you purchased something and brought it to their home. if you're not selling it, then they can't sue you... don't worry about it!

TickledPink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickledPink Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 12:18pm
post #5 of 9

I asked my girlfriend the same thing, she works on the Workforce Development Board dealing business for the state of Florida. She told me that if you're not licensed and the person purchases something from you, it's THEIR responsibility.

Think of hiring an unlicensed, uninsured roofing contractor. You give him the money and he does the worst job ever but he completes the work. If you complain to the State they will tell you, "was he licensed?" and if you say no, you assume the responsibility.

Same thing in this case. The buyer always assumes the responsibility if they don't hire a licensed, bonded, insured, etc worker.

But honestly as long as you're not handling raw chicken while decorating your cake, you should have no worries.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 9

thanks, everyone!! I feel much better now!

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 9

And also anyone can sue anyone for any reason. Doesn't make it right though. I've thought about this too but everyone is right, you really don't have much to worry about, especially if you aren't "selling" the cake.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 9

I highly doubt something like that would hold up in court.

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 9

Well, it wouldn't but that's my point. People can sue you for whatever they want but it doesn't make it right or mean you should worry so much about something that you don't do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%