I'm In Love With Royal Icing

Decorating By soccermom17 Updated 16 Feb 2007 , 5:59pm by cake-angel

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 23

I love this stuff! I can't get enough. I made personalized cookies for my daughter's kindergarden class and they loved them. Then I tried one. I absolutely love this stuff. It is easy to work with. Can be a little messy. (it was my first time working with it) I'll try to get my pictures posted later today. The royal iciing was soo good, I had another cookie for breakfast and a chocolate cupcake with creamy chocolate frosting! Well balanced, don't you think!
icon_lol.gif

22 replies
kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 23

Love your "well balanced" breakfast. lol.
I agree, I love the royal icing and find it easy to work with. When my students get frustrated, in course 1, making their roses; I tell them just wait for course 2, because working with royal icing is sooooo much eaiser. So far they have agreed.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 23

I seldom use royal icing, but when I do, you know my favorite part? The cleanup, no grease anywhere!

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 23

I agree...Royal icing is the best, it's so versatile... . I haven't down heaps of cakes, however the cakes I have done ....all but one has royal icing.... icon_lol.gif

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 23

Royal Rules!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I love it, too. I really really do. So nice to meet like-minded folks!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 23

...well I have yet to try this stuff! But I am looking forward to making a '25' monogram out of it!
thumbs_up.gif

Dennysse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dennysse Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

I seldom use royal icing, but when I do, you know my favorite part? The cleanup, no grease anywhere!

AMEN! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 23

I've only used royal icing in class.. So I've never put it on a cake ... Doesn't this stuff dry rock hard? Or does it depend on the recipe? I'd try it with a good recipe.. I just picked up a mix for it when I had to make it for class.

prettynpinkdi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettynpinkdi1 Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 10:51pm
post #9 of 23

Yea I like Royal Icing too, but I've only used it to make flowers, thats about it. I've never tried writing on cookies with it. But thats a great idea I will try it soon.

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 10:59pm
post #10 of 23

I'm not too sure about RI. icon_sad.gif I have never had very good luck with it. It seems that mine never gets as "fluffy" no matter how much I beat it. It still works but not as good as I think it should. But, I am so glad all of you enjoy it so much! thumbs_up.gif

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 2:20am
post #11 of 23

I can't freakin make it!!!!!!! I can't get that huge amount of powder sugar to get wet with only 4tablespoons of WATER!
What recipe are ya'll using??? Do tell!!

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 2:23am
post #12 of 23

I haven't tried royal icing because I've read it dries rock hard and tastes bad. Please share your recipe that tastes great and is easy to work with!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 2:32am
post #13 of 23

It doesn't dry rock hard or taste bad! icon_sad.gif Try my technique and recipe, give it a chance....

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

icon_rolleyes.gif

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 2:34am
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwkg

I'm not too sure about RI. icon_sad.gif I have never had very good luck with it. It seems that mine never gets as "fluffy" no matter how much I beat it. It still works but not as good as I think it should. But, I am so glad all of you enjoy it so much! thumbs_up.gif

RI isn't supposed to be "fluffy " icon_confused.gif

Deani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deani Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 2:37am
post #15 of 23

In Australia I buy Royal icing pre-mix that you just add water to. It is absolutely brilliant. Specially at Christmas for my gingerbread. I then buy it in 25kg sacks. icon_biggrin.gif

Sweet-Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Treats Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 2:40am
post #16 of 23

Guess it depends on where in the world you are. In Jamaica most wedding cakes are made with royal icing. It does get a bit hard but not rock hard. Probably because its made with the actual egg whites instead of the meringue powder.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 3:23am
post #17 of 23

Whenever I use Royal for anything, I make tons of drop flowers with the leftovers on waxed paper. Tip, save a little bit to tint yellow for your flower centers. I have all colors of little drop flowers and they are so handy to use on cakes. (especially doll cakes)

Royal does dry rock hard when it is by itself, but if it's on a cookie or sitting on top of frosting on a cake, it softens. It's still stiff; but not rock hard. My family loves it on cookies too!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 3:38am
post #18 of 23

It's not rock hard on cookies because you thin the recipe out with water.

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 4:05am
post #19 of 23

I haven't try it yet. Hope to do it this weekend.
If I do want to attach some flowers with stem on the sides of the cake (Covered in fondat) should I make them in advance? how many days? or just hours? How do attach them to the cake? Do they stand by themselves on top of the cake.
I have an order with a baby bedding theme. It has just flowers icon_rolleyes.gif
So any help will be appreciated. I ganna try something different but wanna know if it is to difficult the first time.
Thanks in adavnce icon_biggrin.gif

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 4:54am
post #20 of 23

[/quote]

RI isn't supposed to be "fluffy " icon_confused.gif[/quote]

That's good to know.... Maybe I did do it right icon_redface.gif

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:14am
post #21 of 23

I waaayyyy prefer royal flowers to BC. They are very pretty, very durable, and have a great shelf life. I make little drop flowers to have on hand too. Also, I can crank out pansies at a high rate of speed so they are a favorite of mine to keep on hand too. Makes a last minute cake order a breeze. I store my RI flowers in egg cartons.

Must repeat what several have said~ your beater and bowl must be squeaky clean. I use a vinegar-water solution to rinse after washing these pieces in very hot, soapy water. The tiniest amount of grease will break down the egg whites and the Royal Icing will fail. I use Wilton's recipe.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 6:30am
post #22 of 23

I love Royal but don't use it much. I had made 200 pink pansies with a little white stripe going through them last year and had daffodiles and a few butterflies with leaves in a plastic container. I put them on a shelf for later use, but came back to an empty spot. I don't know where the container went to but I have an idea of where the Royal went to...my DD stomach, she can't get enough of Royal Icing!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:59pm
post #23 of 23

My kids love to eat my RI flowers too!! I love having extras on hand. So easy to make a cake look spectacular at a moments notice. Whenever I need to make flowers for a cake I just keep piping until I use up the entire amount of icing. That way I have extras to use later. I just put them in an ice cream bucket to save until I need them. Larger more delicate styles (lilies) get egg cartons to store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%