Help With Lo Cal, Lo Fat Cream Cheese Frosting Needed

Baking By nashsmom Updated 6 Oct 2005 , 3:30pm by aunt-judy

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 21 Mar 2005 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 6

I am looking for suggestions on how to improve a cream cheese frosting recipe made with splenda, low fat & fat free cream cheese and low fat cool whip. I used this as the base to frost the cake, then I used low fat & fat free cream cheese mixed with splenda and low fat margarine to decorate. The frosting I decorated with ended up weeping onto the cool whip based frosting after refrigeration all night. Any ideas as to why? I thought maybe the margarine & cool whip combination? The recipe for carrot cake with this combination of icings, cuts the calories down to about 200 total per serving (9 x 13 cake cut into 15 servings) and would be suitable for a diabetic. If I can tweak it to look nice, it would be great! Thanks!

5 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 6

OPBBTL (Old Post Brought Back To Life)

Anybody out there with any ideas or recipes? icon_wink.gif

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 6

I think that the moisture and the whipped cream probably did it. Whipped cream automatically breaks down, especially pre-prepared. It turns into a soupy mess. I have seen a cream cheese flavoring, maybe just the whipped topping and the cream cheese flavoring together? or Margarine, lite cream cheese and Splenda to sweeten?

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 6

Most likely it was because you used margarine and not butter....margarine has a VERY high water content. I would try the recipe again using just regular butter & see how it turns out - doesn't exactly fit the lo cal/lo fat profile you're wanting, but if you use margarine, the water in it will eventually start to "come out" or "weep" & I don't think it can be avoided. I once used margarine to make a bc when I didn't have butter and the same thing happened. I had a wet, loosely frosted cake by the next morning....YUCK!! lol icon_razz.gif

PS - this "weeping" thing will be even worse if you use "Lite" margarine or no-fat margarine....they contain even MORE water. HTH icon_smile.gif

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 10:42am
post #5 of 6

If you are going to use butter....the real thing is healthier than margarine. Plus it tastes sooo much better! icon_wink.gif And use the unsweetened butter. Landolakes is the only thing I use when I bake. For everyday, I use the store brand butter. As long as your other ingredients are low fat...then you are helping somewhat! Also, fat free whip cream tastes just as good as the Lite.
I wouldn't use fat free cream cheese though...I always use the 1/3 less fat..probably the same as you did.

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 6

low-fat products are made that way by replacing the fat with water and starch thickeners. a high water content is not the friend of icing that stays put on a cake. cream cheese of any kind makes for a soft icing even with the structural support of sugar, and cool whip is a very wet product with a un-stable air matrix that collapses very easily. low-fat margarine is very watery and waxy and loses its fat emulsification easily, hence your weepy frosting.

i think that if you're committed to decorating with whipped cream cheese frosting made with splenda (which adds no structural support), i would try omitting the margarine. the decorations may not be "buttery" tasting, but they may stand up better. you may also want to try using full-fat cream cheese just for the decorating icing, which may be firmer than a low-fat variety. vanilla and cinnamon and perhaps an artifical butter flavouring added to this icing will make it seem less like "straight cream cheese".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%