What Is Wrong With My Royal Icing?

Baking By LAA Updated 18 Nov 2005 , 8:45pm by TexasSugar

LAA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LAA Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 3:21am
post #1 of 7

I am using the Wilton Royal Icing Recipe.

3 tbs Meringue Powder
4 cups confectioners sugar
5 tbs water (recipe call for 6 but the instructions say if you are using a tabletop mixer only use 5)

I am making mums for a fall cake. One batch came out great. The next four came out so think and sticky that I could not work with it.

What am I doing wrong or do you hve any suggestions for different recipes.

Thanks,

Lisa

6 replies
thesocialfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thesocialfrog Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 3:24am
post #2 of 7

I think you should add more water, to make it exactly how thin you want it. I just made 4 batches the other day. A few I kept thich by only adding 6 tablespoons of water, then for thinner I added 7. I don't think you had enough water in it.

RoseAnn

thesocialfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thesocialfrog Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 3:25am
post #3 of 7

Sorry, you said it was to thin. To thicken it up you should add a tablespoon of powder sugar at a time until it is as thick as you want.

RoseAnn

meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 3:34am
post #4 of 7

Make sure that the royal icing did not come into contact with any grease!!! Grease will ruin royal icing, causes it to breakdown, and not hold any shape! Good Luck!

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 10:41am
post #5 of 7

The suggested water is always a starting point. Sometimes you just need more or less water. I always start with less and then just add as needed. True about the grease, make sure everything your using is grease free.

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 11:01am
post #6 of 7

first wash all your equipment with a little white vinegar and salt or a little lemon juice and salt..including the spoons spatulats or anything else you're going to stick into your royal icing..including your tips and bags.

then...make sure that you're letting your mixer run for the full amount of time that the recipe calls for.

about 7 to 10 minutes....cover it with a wet towel and let it rest for a few minutes before you use it so all your bubbles will rise.

Then take a spatula and give it a couple of good swirls before you place it into your bags.

HTS

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 7

If it is thin you can add cornstrach to it. Add in a little, stir it up, and let it sit for a while. It will asorb the extra liquid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%