3" Deep Cake Pans

Baking By farrah Updated 29 Sep 2011 , 2:25pm by aprilismaius

farrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farrah Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 2:13am
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone I am going to make a 12x16x3 sheet cake and I would like some ideas on how to bake the cake without having to using the big core. I made a cake last weekend this size and baked at 325 for about an hour but I didn't want the rest of the cake to dry out and the middle seemed a little undone. Are there any other tricks out there besides the core I used it once and didn't work well with me didn't like the whole in the middle. any ideas would be great

10 replies
charleydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleydog Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 2:14am
post #2 of 11

bake even strips, flower nail (smaller hole at least)....

HTH

icon_smile.gif

farrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farrah Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 2:18am
post #3 of 11

will the nail reach far enough in get the heat to the middle. Also should I just put it in after I fill the pan and get ready to put in the oven? thanks

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 3:20am
post #4 of 11

Use two nails for that size spaced out in the center. Put the nails in the pan first up-side down.

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 12:41pm
post #5 of 11

I keep wondering about cooking large cakes in a water bath like you would for cheesecake. A water bath is supposed to help keep the cooking of the item slower therefore more even but I'm not sure how this would work with a cake.

As far as something I've tried, I've used 3 flower nails for the big book cake I made out of my lasagna pan which was 11x15x3" (used 2 1/2 mixes).

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 11

For a cake that large you may want to try and use several flower nails! That's a lot of batter!! I alos like baking at 325*...takes longer but it's worth it to me!

Lizcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizcakes Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:54am
post #7 of 11

Can someone suggest a good chocolate recpie for a 12x16x3 pan??? Please help really need a solution by friday.. Thanks

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:09am
post #8 of 11

Two or three nails and baking strips and your in business. thumbs_up.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:27am
post #9 of 11

i use 2 nails in a 12x18. cut yourself a sqaure of wax paper and poke the nail through it, then pour the batter on in the pan on top of the nails. the wax paper just makes it easier to remove the nails and a smooth finish.

and bake even strips placed at the top of the pan.

Lizcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizcakes Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 3:33am
post #10 of 11

Thanks do i just set The nails in the middle of the pan ? do u recommend a recpie i can use that will be good enough for such a big pan?? also do u recommend i just grease pan with crisco and flour so it wont stick? Sorry first time using big pan.. Thanks

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 2:25pm
post #11 of 11

If you don't have bake even strips, you can make your own version using wet paper towels and wrap them in aluminum foil, then wrap that around your pan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%