Holiday Gift Baskets

Lounge By Nana2three Updated 23 Dec 2005 , 3:22am by crimsonhair

Nana2three Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana2three Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 67

I have decided I want to offer holiday gift baskets this year. I'm wondering what you all would think should be included in a gift basket in the $50 range? Please keep in mind these will need to be shipped so I can't include anything that would require refrigeration.

66 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 67

Banana nut bread in a loaf, small packets of nuts and dried fruit, Jar of cookie dough, a plastic cookie cutter? In a fancy basket wrapped in plastic and a pretty bow on top??

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 67

P.S. Check this out, I just recieved a Gift Box yesturday and I looked at the bottom of the box.. These boxes are perfect.. This one was filled with crackers, nuts, dried fruit, cookies.. Alot of boxed items.. and it was filled to the top with paper. And all the items were comeing out from the top. She also had 2 plastic fall leaves and some confetti paper on top.. This is where she gets her boxes from:
http://www.boxcoindustries.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=22&products_id=216
Good Luck!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 67

How about nuts like pistachios,full shell mixed nuts,fancy packaged import cookies,Christmas candy mix....um...cheeses that don't require refridgeration like bobel or those little cubes,Crackers....small jams,spreads etc just a thought!

Nana2three Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 67

Those are great ideas....but I was hoping to fill it with things I've made so to generate more business. I'm hoping to offer things they can't necessarily get somewhere else. I'm definitely leaning towards a small loaf of banana nut bread, probalby some decorated cookies, chocolate covered pretzels, gourmet hot chocolate mix and maybe apple cider mix, but I still need one or two more things in order to charge that much .... don't ya think?

Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 67

Oh I get it...sorry..I thought you meant store bought stuff!! Hmmm what else can you offer.How about some homemade toffee or almond bark..easy to make and doesn't require a ton of expensive ingredients.I like the christmas bark with white chocloate and broken up candy canes.

Nana2three Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 67

Oooh good idea....maybe some pecan pralines, divinity?

Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 67

Yeah....now your talking!! My kinda Candy!!icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 67

You could do the mini loaf of banana nut bread and then do a mini loaf of holiday bread (since these are going out around the holidays.) Then just add little things like Nilla Wafers dipped in choclate and then sprinkled with crushedpeppermints wrapped up in a cellophane bag. Those were a HUGE hit for me last year! Good luck!

Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 67

You know here in Canada there is a line of books called "Company's Coming" by Jean Pare.I have two of the holiday "Gifts from the Kitchen" books and they are fantastic for making homemade gift basket stuff!! I just bought their new on at Walmart this week and it is spectacular.Everything from food to liqueurs to bath salts etc...See if you can find it on Amazon or something that would be great!

justcakn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justcakn Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 67

A friend and I made up some baskets last year and we put cheese straws in them, they were a big hit.

erinlynn22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinlynn22 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 8:23pm
post #12 of 67

How about some RumBalls? I always make them around christmas and they are a big hit with everyone i know

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 12:40pm
post #13 of 67

Just an idea on the dipped pretzels...

I recently made some dipped pretzel rods that were so yummy and pretty.
I first dipped them in chocolate and while they were still wet, I sprinkled them with nuts and then drizzled white chocolate back and forth over the nuts and then did a slight drizzle of dark chocolate over top of that.

They were so gourmet looking. Then I wrapped each one individually. I have seen these in stores and coffee shops for $1-$2 each.

Good luck with your baskets!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 12:58pm
post #14 of 67

I don't know if you make pound cakes...but you can make the mini pound cakes in the Wilton pan..they turn out real cute!

Nana2three Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 2:25pm
post #15 of 67

That's a great idea on the pretzels! And I'm definitely going to do a mini-pound cake! Thanks for the input!!!!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 2:31pm
post #16 of 67

Nana have you ever tried doing your own version of the "gourmet" dipped apples. I have been doing them for the past year or so and they are a BIG HIT! I cover the apple with caramel.. let it set.. then dip in chocolate.. let it set and then dip in chocolate again and add all kinds of toppings.. cookie chunks.. chocolate chips... toffee bits... nuts.. etc. etc. I get jumbo fuji apples, but regular size apples would work in a basket really well.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 2:35pm
post #17 of 67

What about chocolate dipped spoons? They would look nice with the basket and they are very easy to do. You could also put brownies in there...now I'm hungry icon_biggrin.gif

Nana2three Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 2:39pm
post #18 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingoodies

Nana have you ever tried doing your own version of the "gourmet" dipped apples. I have been doing them for the past year or so and they are a BIG HIT! I cover the apple with caramel.. let it set.. then dip in chocolate.. let it set and then dip in chocolate again and add all kinds of toppings.. cookie chunks.. chocolate chips... toffee bits... nuts.. etc. etc. I get jumbo fuji apples, but regular size apples would work in a basket really well.

Oooh those sound wonderful! Do you wrap them? If so, how?? I just have to be able to ship these so I'm trying to make sure I select things that will hold up to that! Thanks for this suggestion....now I'm hungry! lol

Nana2three Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 2:40pm
post #19 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ge978

What about chocolate dipped spoons? They would look nice with the basket and they are very easy to do. You could also put brownies in there...now I'm hungry icon_biggrin.gif

I've never done those....can you give me directions? Sounds very cute!!

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 2:41pm
post #20 of 67

I'm doing baskets as gifts for my brother and sister and my husband's sister. I make homemade salsa (which they rave about), including some tortilla chips and some other odds 'n ends.

Something that is really good (although it sounds strange) is putting peanut butter between two ritz crackers and then you dip them in melted chocolate bark. Let them dry and then you can bag them up. They taste like the Little Debby peanut butter cakes. OOOH! Guess I'll have to make some -- I'm now craving them.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 2:42pm
post #21 of 67

Nana I wrap them in cellophane and tie with a pretty ribbon.. Also I place them on a small square or round of cardboard before wrapping. I have shipped them to people so I know they hold up.. just not in really warm weather.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 2:46pm
post #22 of 67

You could also try doing coffee spoons. Just dip the sturdy plastic spoon in melted chocolate and let it harden. Then tie a bow around the stem and put it in a cellophane bag. You can add flavorings to the chocolate too. I've added Kahlua, Baileys, amaretto, etc. They're cheap to make and look great.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 2:47pm
post #23 of 67

Nana - I have a picture of them on one of my sample trays in my photos. I bought the spoons from Michaels or Joanns, dipped them in melted dark chocolate candy melts and drizzled with white chocolate candy melt. The spoons are gold and they come with twist ties. You could probably use red or green candy melts and make them festive. I just dipped them and let them dry for a little bit. Very easy

momlovestocook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momlovestocook Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 3:10pm
post #24 of 67

I saw a cookie kit in a kids toy store magazine. It was sugar cookies that turned pink when mixed, small roller, cookie cutter, etc. It was called princess cookie kit. I think it was a star cookie cutter with lollipop sticks to make wands. I was thinking of doing something like that. You can buy sugar cookie mixes, add pink powder food coloring and just buy the rest of the things. I know you were looking for homemade but I thought it was such a cute idea.
I have a recipe for pistachio dried cranberry white chocolate bark that is festive and very tasty that I make every year.
I also made peanuts and almonds last year. You caramelize some sugar, add the toasted nuts, cook some more then cover with chocolate. I tempered the chocolate(bittersweet for the almonds and milk for the peanuts) but I'm sure it would be easier with candy melts. These are totally addictive.
Here's a site that ships gift baskets and they have some really cute ideas.
http://www.giftbasketsremembered.com/index.html

Sandra
ps let me know if you want the recipes for the bark or the nuts.

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 3:14pm
post #25 of 67

Gibson, if you did the ritz crackers in some good chocolate, then they taste like reeses cups. They are awesome! icon_smile.gif

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 3:14pm
post #26 of 67

I have also seen the plastic spoons that are dipped to add flavor to your hot drink as you stir. anyone else seen that?

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 3:17pm
post #27 of 67

Last year I also took the pretzel rods and dipped them in chocolate halfway and then roll in chopped nuts. My kids loved them. You can also roll them in the different colored sugar crystals.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 3:19pm
post #28 of 67

I bought a gift basket for my MIL last year. It was in a giant coffee cup...so cute! The chocolate dipped spoons were in there and so was rock candy on a stick for stirring into your coffee/tea. Lots of baked stuff too. She loved it! I'm trying my hand at making them this year too. It's a lot less expensive to DIY and you can put exactly what you want in them.

Nana2three Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 3:32pm
post #29 of 67

These are all great ideas!!! Please send recipes...we may just start a new trend here!

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 3:45pm
post #30 of 67

How about chocolate dipped spoons with some coffee, homemade candies, truffles, maybe a book, bubble bath, bath salts, wine.........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%