Help! I Made Meringue :-(

Decorating By CakesByEllen Updated 17 Nov 2005 , 7:20pm by MoonicaLeigh

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 7

I made a batch (double-batch technically) of royal, and I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to my mixer speed. Well, the end result is basically a meringue-ish royal icing icon_cry.gif . I made some drop flowers, and I knew the texture was off. Well, I ate one and it was definitely more like a meringue cookie than a rock-hard royal flower. The flowers are still hard to the touch, and seem durable (unlike meringue, which I think would dent or break).

So can I still use these flowers? And can I use the rest of the recipe? I was thinking to just make drop flowers since these are usually just used for filler on cakes anyway. The flowers look OK, but are not crisp looking. I don't think anyone other than an decorator would notice. I'm just worried that they will melt or fall apart on a cake. I was going to use them to make a drop-flower covered swag bottom border.

What do you think? Have you had this problem before? I could use some advice. Should I just throw the batch out and start over? icon_eek.gif

TIA!

6 replies
CakesByEllen Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 7

Can anyone help? <bump>

CakesByEllen Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 7

Well, since nobody knew, I played it safe and threw it out. Oh well. I made the next batch with my KA on 2 (last one was on 4), and it seemed to turn out fine.

Thanks anyway.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 7

I am sorry no one replied on time, but as long as the flowers tasted okay, eventhough the texture was exaclty right, you could've used them....

Royal icing is not a tasty icing anyway, it is mainly to achieve certain things you cannot achieve with other icings....

Did you have a lot of icing to throw away...?

MoonicaLeigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoonicaLeigh Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 7

Hopefully you didnt have to throw away too much! The last time I made royal somehting just wasnt right, and it sounds about the same as yours. Good luck next time usaribbon.gif

CakesByEllen Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 7

Unfortunately it was most of a double-batch that ended up in the garbage. I was just worried that since they were meringue-ish that they might melt on a flower cake I have due tomorrow. I'll know for next time, but hopefully it won't happen again.

It's all part of learning. Thanks for the responses though.

MoonicaLeigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoonicaLeigh Posted 17 Nov 2005 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 7

Yikes! That's a lot of sugar! Well good luck and I hope that your cake turns out beautifully! Cant wait to see the pictures!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%