Covering Cake & Dowel ?'s...

Decorating By SILVERCAT Updated 14 Feb 2007 , 4:00pm by MissRobin

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 11:16am
post #1 of 7

I am doing my first big cake this weekend and was wondering. I will be decorating the cake on friday through out the day, this cake is for saturday early afternoon. I need to know if I can use a clear oversized trash bag to cover my for the night and transportation. If not where do I find a bag big enough to cover my cake? My cake is going on 14" dummie, than a 10" 8" & 6" they are all getting doweled. I cant think of where I can find a bag big enough to cover this cake. Also do you think I need to put a dowel through the center of the cake? It only needs to go 3.5 miles down the road, no hills but lots of bumps. If you have any other tips for me before I get started on this BIG cake please share. Thanks Megan

6 replies
Lexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexy Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 7

Do you have a large box you can cut a flip in one side and slide the cake in and then just tape it up. That is one big cake im not sure you'll find a bag big enough. I just put 4 dowels into my cakes one in each corner. Good luck! Im sure you'll get it there just fine.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 7

I do have a box but the board is going to be 16x16. I was thinking of using a contractor gabage bag, but am not to sure about putting food in a bag you are going to be eating.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 7

As Lexy suggested, go get a 16x16x16 box at one of those Mailbox stores. Tape up the bottom. Then, cut down and across the bottom of one side of the box to make a 'door'. Leaving the top flaps up (which makes the box taller), open the door and slide your cake in. Shut the door and tape it closed. Lay a piece of plastic or cellophane over the top of the box.

Lexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexy Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 7

why not go to your local store and ask for a box, im sure they have loads and wouldn't mine.

braggmama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
braggmama2 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 7

I would go with the box idea. Sounds like it would be easier to carry to and from the car and keep your cake stable enough for the car trip. I'd be afraid there might be a problem with the bag disturbing the frosting/decorations.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 7

To answer the question about dowels, I would definitely do a center dowel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%