It's Time To Start Thinking About Gingerbread Houses!

Decorating By maddog Updated 15 Nov 2005 , 3:27pm by pooker

maddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddog Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 4:08am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone out there love to do gingerbread houses like I do? How bout some pictures, ideas and tips...I have this idea to do a real cute version of wonka's chocolate factory, but I've got alot of planning to do still, any ideas would be great. Thanks guys!

8 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 9

maddog--
I just did a gingerbread house this weekend. But I cheated. It was a pre-baked and preassembled gingerbread house that came with the candies to decorate it with. It's in my photos. I had a great time with it. At first, I was trying to plan the design of the candies but then I just starting putting the candies on. I also did a gingerbread house ornament from the same company.

The first week of December, I have 3 classes at the cooking school here for kids with decorating the houses. Looking forward to that--they get so creative!!!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 9

There's an incredible gingerbread house at this site along with directions. I love looking at them but I've never tried my hand at anything so advanced. Really amazing...

http://www.cakesbyjan.com/gingerbread%20house2.htm

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 9

This brings to mind a funny story from when my daughter was in Brownies. We had decided to do gingerbread houses for their Christmas Party. Someone recommended using graham crackers and sugar glue. We couldn't get the roof to stay on at an angle. The girls ended upwith "redneck gingerbread houses" (doublewides). We put the roof on flat on top of the edge of the graham crackers. We still laugh about it when we look at the pictures.

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 9

Lisa, thanks for the link to cakesbyjan! It had a recipe for an eggless icing that could be used to hold a gingerbread house together! I've been looking for one, there have been a couple of suggestions but to have one that has been tried and tested is great. That gingerbread house was amazing.
kate

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 9

Have you seen the gingerbread houses from the Asheville, NC competition? I saw it last year on the Food Network channel. Awesome. I had to pick my jaw off the floor several times! Even the little kids entries were remarkable! It's here again....

Gingerbread Challenge
The Grove Park Inn Annual Gingerbread Competition in Asheville, NC is home to 250 of the nation's most inspired gingerbread artists who sketch, build and painstakingly decorate these stunning examples of holiday ingenuity. From royal residences to towns.

AIR TIMES: (Food Network)

December 18, 2005 10:00 PM ET/PT
December 19, 2005 2:00 AM ET/PT
December 22, 2005 9:00 PM ET/PT
December 23, 2005 1:00 AM ET/PT
December 24, 2005 6:00 PM ET/PT
December 25, 2005 3:00 PM ET/PT

kos

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks kos thumbs_up.gif I'll definitely be watching.

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 9

I have never made one I have always wanted to that may be a fun project to do with the kiddos!

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 3:27pm
post #9 of 9

I'd love to do one! Our county library is having a gingerbread decorating contest, so I'm thinking about it! With everything I've learned from you all, I'm anxious to see how it turns out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%