Shoe Box Cake

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 14 Feb 2007 , 2:05am by Suebee

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 5

I have been going through numerous threads here on CC reading about making gift boxes with lids on and lids off. I still am not quite sure about how to achieve the look I am after so hopefully one of you has a bright spark.

I would like to make a shoe box with the lid propped against the box, just like it has just been pulled off, then inside the box crumpled tissue paper with a gumpaste shoe nestled in it.

I have made a treasure chest and a toy chest cake before, with both of those I had the lid propped open on dowels. The opening was filled in both cases with other items which hid the fact that the top is flat and not hollow like a real box or chest would be.

Is there any way of making a cake which has sides which are higher than the cake itself, so that you can create the illusion of a hollow box? The only time I have seen something similar is with cakes that are wrapped in chocolate, but I am not sure if that technique would work for a rectangular shape or if I am up to working with chocolate.

Any ideas?

4 replies
Lexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjgett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjgett Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 5

I wonder if you could try pastiage (sp?) I think you can roll it out, then cut it to your specs and then let it dry. Once dry you can attach it to the sides of your cake. Good Luck!icon_rolleyes.gif

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you both for links and suggestions.

Do you know if I put pastillage on the outside of the cake if you would have to remove it before cutting? From what I understand it dries very hard.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 2:05am
post #5 of 5

I just did a gift box for the first time. It came out alright. Definately put a cake board under the lid otherwise it will break. I think the weight of the lid made the box sag too I'm not sure how to fix that. Next time I would cover the entire lid in one peice and not do the sides separate. Any suggestions out there would be appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%