Any Opinions On Moistening Or Soaking Syrup?

Baking By goodcakefairy Updated 18 Nov 2005 , 9:50pm by aupekkle

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 12 Nov 2005 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 6

I read a book that talked about making "moistening" syrup, a simple syrup flavored with liqeurs or vanilla or whatever would suit the cake. My cakes are pretty moist, so I don't think I "need" them. But I like to try anything that enhance the flavor or texture. I was wondering if I did use them, would it make the cake soggy or misshaped? What's your opinion?

P.S. While we're on the sogginess issue. I can't seem to use fresh fruit, say strawberries, in fillings or as decorations without their bleeding onto the icing or making everything a mess. Any tips?
Thanks,
goodcakefairy

5 replies
blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 12 Nov 2005 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,

I use a syrup on all my cakes because I really like the flavor it gives. I make the syrup and put it in a squeeze bottle. When I am about to fill the cake, I use a spiral motion starting on the center and going out and just moisten the cake. I let it soak in good then add the filling. I am afraid of sogginess so I don't use a ton of it. I have not had any problems as of yet.

Berta

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 12 Nov 2005 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 6

I sometimes use the simple syrup as a crumbcoat on a cake baked in a character pan. It helps the BCI stars, etc., stick and I can see to do the outlines and shapes better. Janice

prettycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycakes Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 6

I just experimented with this the other day. I made a simple syrup using

1/2 c. water
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. butter flavor

I had a white cake and a chocolate cake. I coated both with the syrup and then used a chocolate gaunach. Yummy. Neither cake became soggy.

I think if I were to do this again, I would leave the vanilla out. Don't know why. I just think I would.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 6

IMO: I paersonaly HATE the texture that soaking syrups give cakes. I don't think it makes them moist at all, just wet and soggy (even if there isn't much). If you cake is dry, soaking syrups don't disguise that. Oil (fat) is what makes cakes moist. The only thing I like is using a little coconut milk on a coconut cake becaue It gives a unique flavor, and even then the texture bugs me. I say, if you want your cakes to have a unique flavor, put it in the batter, or use it as a filling!! ....JMO

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 18 Nov 2005 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 6

I've tried using simple syrups before and I think it has its advantages. I made a kahlua cake and made some kahlua simple syrup and it was really good because you got this extra kick as you ate the cake.

When I made the syrup, I put it into a spray bottle and lightly sprayed the cake before adding the filling. The cake did not get soggy.

The only time I had problems with liquids to cakes was when I tried to do a tres leche cake. I tried really hard to get the milks to soak into the cake by poking holes into it and pouring the milks over the cake, but the milks only moistened the top layer and as time went on, it just made the top layer soggy. Still trying to figure out a better option with that type of cake.

In anycase, try the simple syrup method. I works pretty well and can add flavor to your cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%