Need Some Advice Please

Decorating By jessield Updated 14 Feb 2007 , 4:13pm by braggmama2

jessield Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessield Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:16am
post #1 of 7

Hello, I'm new to this site. I have made a few cakes but nothing to big. I have a ckae to do for my grandparents 50th anniversary. I don't really know how to transport the cakes. Possibly a very large cake. Any advice would greatly be appreciated!!!!!!

6 replies
ahmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahmommy Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:41am
post #2 of 7

I have only had to transport 1 tiered cake (3 tiers) myself, and let me tell you it was the most stressful thing in the world for me. Make sure to put a non-slip mat underneath it in your car!!!!!!!!! Maybe you should even stack it at the location (although I cannot say that I have enough guts to do that). Good Luck!!!!!

ladybug03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug03 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:48am
post #3 of 7

There are lots of threads in the forums about this...just search the forums for "transporting cakes" etc. Good Luck!

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:51am
post #4 of 7

If you are going to transport a stacked cake, you can transport it already stacked or not. I've transported mine stacked, but always bring a prepared decorating bag with me and do the border at the location. I also have a big van with a large empty back cargo area. I've been lucky so far that nothing has fallen or slipped. Knock on wood. its ok to stack it at the location, just bring your filled bag with all the tips you'll need and do the finishing touches there. For stacks with separators, do the stacking there. I would NEVER transport a cake with separators already put together. Too risky. Just MHO. HTH

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 3:08am
post #5 of 7

Also take a large box that is just a little bigger than the cake. re-enforce the bottom with duct tape. Cut the front down the folds (the corners, but don't cut the bottom) This makes a flap. Put the non skid stuff in the bottom. Cut a flap in each side to use for handles. (I re-enforce this with duct tape, too). set the cake in, and close the front flap. use the duct tape again to hold the flap. Carry and put in the back of your vehicle. when you get it to your destination, set up on the table, slide out of the box, into position and get rid of the box. This works for me . Just make sure you don't tip the box. Hold it so the cake doesn't tip.
I have used this for stacked cakes up to 3 tiers.
Hope this helps.

Epi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Epi Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 7

This what we do for our wedding cakes. We transport them unstacked we have a cake decorator kit like a fishing tackle box with all of our basic equipment in it to fix things. We put our cake up when we get to our location. After many years of practice and mistakes we have found this is the safest way to do it. icon_biggrin.gif

braggmama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
braggmama2 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 7

Epi sounds like the voice of reason and experience. I transported an assembled 3 tiered cake last weekend (never done it before). I actually had trouble sleeping the night before because I was so worried about getting it there in one piece! It worked out fine but I did use the non-slip mat, took extra icing and tips. I also used a dowl through the middle of all the tiers. I didn't use a box to transport the cake. Instead, I placed it on a plywood tray and that seemed to stabilize it quite well. Was still sweating bullets, though! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%