Anyone Have Recipes To Spruce Up A Chocolate Cake Mix?

Decorating By Anna31 Updated 13 Feb 2007 , 12:23am by bkdcakes

Anna31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anna31 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 15

I'm looking for a recipe to give my chocolate cake more of a from scratch taste and better flavor. I'm very new to cc but have searched the recipes and haven't found quite what I'm looking for. Don't want chocolate chips in it. Help! javascript:emoticon('icon_smile.gif')
Smile

14 replies
patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 15

Are you using a box mix? I never used to like chocolate cake until I "docotored" up a Devils Food Cake mix. Here is the recipe:
1 package Devils Food Cake mix (Pillsbury or Betty Crocker)
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix and bake according to package directions

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 15

Sounds like you need Anne Byrn's "Chocolate Cake Doctor." I just got my copy from Amazon. Looks good but I haven't tried any of the recipes yet.

Anna31 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 15

Thank you both for the ideas! Yes, I use box mixes. I will deffinately write down the recipe you gave me and try it! It sounds great! Have been trying to experiment and try new things. I need to branch out a little. Also, I will look up that book. I love Amazon.com!!! Anna

sking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sking Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 15

look under cake mix recipes for "Blue Ribbon Moist and Fudgey Chocolate Cake", if you like a strong chocolate cake this is very good

Anna31 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 15

THanks! I will look for it! Man, I love this site!!!! Anna

cakeladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladydi Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 15

Here's one more to add to your recipe collection:

1 Duncan Hines Devils Food CM
1 box instant choc pudding
1/4 cup Hersheys syrup
1 cup water
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil

Bake as directed on box.

Happy baking!

Anna31 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 15

Thank you! That sounds great to! I'm starting to wonder what I am going to do with all these practice cakes though! I think I'm either going to get really fat or really popular with my friends! HA! Can't wait to try it! I have a chocolate cake order for next week so am excited to get some fresh ideas! Anna

Anna31 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 15

oh, P.S. to cakeladydi, does it have to be Duncan hines or can it be Betty Crocker? Does it make a difference?

jlmaison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlmaison Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 15

You can try the Baileys chocolate cake. It is really good!

cakeladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladydi Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:53pm
post #11 of 15

I only use DH. Most of my customers don't request exotic flavors or fillings. I use DH Devils Food and DH Butter Recipe. That is just my personal preference.

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:57pm
post #12 of 15

my absolute favorite cake i make is a duncan hines chocolate fudge mix with an extra egg and instant choc pudding. it tastes great with buttercream dream! people love it!

Anna31 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 11:03pm
post #13 of 15

Thank you, thank you to all of you! Anna31

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 12:16am
post #14 of 15

I agree with something Ina Garten aka The Barefoot Contessa does. She adds coffee to anything chocolate. If you don't overdo the amount you add it won't taste like coffee or even mocha. It just seems to intensify the flavor of the chocolate. So for 1 chocolate cake mix I would add 1 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in about 1 Tablespoon boiling water, stir till dissolved and add with the liquid ingredients. It makes such a difference in brownies, or cake.

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 12:23am
post #15 of 15

I have a Cake Doctor book. I would be glad to send you some of the recipes out of it, if you like. Just PM me & I will look through & get some that sound good. I haven't tried too many of them, because most of my family & friends whom I do cakes for don't like anything different, just same old, same old. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%