Re:my First String Works Cake

Decorating By cocobino Updated 16 Feb 2007 , 8:10pm by jescapades

cocobino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobino Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 17

I would never thought that I would receive so many comments and requests for this cake http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_186133.html Thank you all so much! I will try and be as helpfull and detailed as possible. The RI that we used it's actually regular RI but prepared differently; instead of a whisk you would use the flat beater and REAL egg whites. I attached the recipe below as royal_icing_recipe.pdf. The method is done straight on the cake! We made a ring to the height and size of our cake out of wax paper and kept folding it in halfs (last fold was done in 3rds, for an 8inch cake; u should have like an inch folded wax paper) to create lines on it. We then put the ring around the cake and using a pin we made holes following the lines on the wax paper ring on around the cake, top edge and bottom... the holes r ur guide to where the string will begin and end. So, u would start ur string (attaching ur tip to the cake, applying pressure, pulling the string to wher u want it to go) to the 1st hole & end it to the 3rd, then ud go back to the 2nd to start a new string & end it to the 4th, then ud go back to the 3rd & end it to the 5th & so on...the tricky part is when u turn the cake upside down to do the exact same thing, that's how u make that top extension and the bottom strings. To do that u have to use a smaller cake (if doing a two tier cake) as ur base or something that will hold the cake when u turn it, but smaller than the surface of the cake ur applying the strings on. As u notice there r layers of strings. When u finish ur first layer (top-bottom) u start a new layer over it only this time u do ur strings lower than ur first strings. Same with 3rd layer, ur strings will be lower than ur 2nd layer of strings. 1st and 2nd layers were done with a #2 tip, last one i think it was #0 tip. Finally u attach the tiny flowers with royal icing but very carefully as this type of work is very delicate. I hope I didn't confuse u guys.. icon_eek.gif Thank u once again ALL for viewing my cake!!! Good luck to you all! icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 17

You did a really lovely job on that cake. I haven't done that type of string work in years. They are all even and perfectly done, good for you!

mimimil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimimil Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 17

Wow! Your cake is wonderful!! You really turn your cake upside down?? How do you do that and not mess it up?? Do you have any pictures of the cake upside down? I would really love to see how its done.

Thanks for sharing!

Mimi

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 17

is it a fondant or buttercream cake?
so you basically make a wax paper "collar" around the top?

absolutely beautiful cake! what class are you taking?

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 17

I was wondering about the upside down part too. Do you just have to reice the top after?

cocobino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobino Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 17

Thank you all very much!
I am taking a Professional Cake Decorating Program at George Brown college, Toronto; this particular course is called String Works I.

Yes, exactly you make a wax collar around the cake and the cake is covered in fondant a day before so it's secured in there.

If you're uncomfortable u don't really have to do the upsidedown part it would still look pretty. Next cake I will take photos and share with u.. unfortunately i didn't take on this one!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 17

I'm not getting the turning the cake upside down part.

mimimil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimimil Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 17

I noticed that your cake board was covered in fondant as well... did you cover the board first and then the cake?? or did you cover both at once??

Mimi

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 1:39am
post #9 of 17

Your cake is beautiful ! icon_biggrin.gif I love doing string work & extension work,it looks so great but i admit i've never tried turning my cake upside down ! - something new to do !! icon_biggrin.gif

julie

chleonard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chleonard Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:14am
post #10 of 17

that is absolutely beautiful!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:25am
post #11 of 17

Great work. There is a great article in American Cake Decoraing that shows this method also!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:30am
post #12 of 17

I don't understand how you turn the cake upside down without causing damage to the cake/fondant. Can this be done with butter cream rather then fondant?

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:30am
post #13 of 17

That's very nice. You should chat w/ cakemommy, she likes this type of work too. thumbs_up.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 2:49am
post #14 of 17

Thanks Nick! As a matter of fact I am working on my SDCC show cake right now and I turned my bottom tier upside down today to pipe on some string work but it's not suspended. I wanted it to have a "drop string" look vs. a "drawn on" look! Ya'll will just have to wait a bit though to see it!

I will try the technique in question for sure. I just have to wait for the right time to do it. I'm so busy working on my show cake right now!

Amy

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 5:09am
post #15 of 17

All I can add is, Holy Moly icon_eek.gif

You must be at the head of the class icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Please post your other course cakes too thumbs_up.gif

sondrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sondrad Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 5:56pm
post #16 of 17

I'm even more in awe after reading how you did this. Amazing!

Please take pictures the next time. Thanks.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 8:10pm
post #17 of 17

ooooooooooooooh, so pretty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%