Makin' Fondant Ropes?

Decorating By lecrn Updated 2 Jul 2007 , 5:15pm by beccakelly

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 14

Okay, this may be a stupid question, but has anyone ever used a cookie press gun to make fondant ropes? I have one that I never use, & would be so excited it that would work. I've looked on different web sites @ clay guns, but I don't want to purchase one if this works. I lookin' @ the different discs & it looks like there's one that could make hair & one that could make a star rope border.
thanks!

13 replies
Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 14

try it out and let us know. I have thought about it, but i believe the cookie press isn't built strong enough, so that you can push the fondant through the holes.

lecrn Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 14

I'll try it out tonight & let you know. I'm looking @ the press and you can manually push out the dough in a smooth motion without using the little clicking button. So I think that if I have enough strengh, it may just work.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 14

I would suggest coating the inside of the press and the pushing part on the pusher itself with a light film of Crisco. It will help push the fondant through without so much stress on your hands.

lecrn Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 14

STUPID IDEA!!! I tried it & cleaned up before I read the response re: Crisco. It was soooooooo hard to push out! If anyone else tries it with the Crisco, let me know.
Thanks!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 12:02am
post #6 of 14

I have a small clay gun or extruder that I use only for fondant. Nic Lodge handed on the tip of the thin film of Crisco, it works so much better.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 1:20am
post #7 of 14

the softer your fondant is, the easier it is to push through
icon_smile.gif

lecrn Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 14

So Jules,
You've tried this with success?

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 12:26am
post #9 of 14

Yes, i have used it with clay gun,which i think is smaller than the cookie one - the fondant just won't work if it's not really soft ( you can either use vegetable fat or a little bit of water in it to soften it )
icon_biggrin.gif

blaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blaze Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 14

has anyone found a fondant extruder to buy in the US? icon_confused.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:10pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze

has anyone found a fondant extruder to buy in the US? icon_confused.gif

A sugarcraft gun like this one from Beryl's? http://beryls.safeshopper.com/216/7424.htm?961

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:46pm
post #12 of 14

this is an awesome clay gum! it works like the sugarcraft one but is bigger and cheaper. with shipping it was less than $30.

http://www.clay-king.com/extruderlist.htm

i got the medium sized one listed for $19.20. it holds a TON of fondant and you can make REALLY long ropes. i always microwave my fondant to soften it and spray the inside of my gun with pam. works beautifully.

lecrn Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:09pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccakelly

this is an awesome clay gum! it works like the sugarcraft one but is bigger and cheaper. with shipping it was less than $30.

http://www.clay-king.com/extruderlist.htm

i got the medium sized one listed for $19.20. it holds a TON of fondant and you can make REALLY long ropes. i always microwave my fondant to soften it and spray the inside of my gun with pam. works beautifully.

Thanks! That sounds great. Are the dies that come with the gun all round? Did you receive good customer service from this company?

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:15pm
post #14 of 14

i was referred to this company by other CCer's who ordered from them. those are they only reviews i've seen, but they highly recommended them. the company shipped really fast and responded very quickly when i emailed them. (they forgot to send my dies, so they shipped them out immediately and sent me extra ones).

the dies are all round, and you get one blank. i asked my dad to cut that one into a ribbon for me. he has all those power tools and stuff. i think you can order extra dies though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%