Which Is Better? Crusting Buttercream Or Non Crusting

Decorating By Chef_Mommy Updated 14 Nov 2005 , 7:00pm by gilson6

Chef_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Mommy Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 11

I have been using a non crusting buttercream recipe (I think it is the Swiss buttercream) and everyone loves it but I have so much trouble getting it perfectly smooth. I hear all the techniques used with the crusting buttercream that I was thinking about switching. Which buttercream do you think is better (texture and taste)?

Jackie

10 replies
MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 11

I love the smoothness and taste of the all-butter italian meringue BC... I'd never go back to the crusting version!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 11

I love a good light-crusting BC that's also creamy and buttery. I feel like it's the best of both worlds.

BlueLamp1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueLamp1 Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 11

Hi,
Forgive my ignorance, but whats the diffrence? Can u pipe designs/borders using non crusting or italian meringue?
thanks!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmosquera

I have been using a non crusting buttercream recipe (I think it is the Swiss buttercream) and everyone loves it but I have so much trouble getting it perfectly smooth. I hear all the techniques used with the crusting buttercream that I was thinking about switching. Which buttercream do you think is better (texture and taste)?

Jackie

On which one is better, it depends on what you want to accomplish...

I have been using 100% shortening buttercream and play around with extract and it tastes really good. People don't mind it at all. A bit greasy, but no big problem. It is wonderful for figure piping, character cakes, and smoothing.

I have done the 1/2 butter and 1/2 Crisco and it is too soft for my taste. Taste good, but I rather use 100% Crisco.

Nothing against it or other that like it better. THIS IS STRICTLY a personal preference.

Chef_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Mommy Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 11

I don't put butter in mine either I use 100% crisco and I like the taste but I can't get it as smooth as I would like to. I guess I will stick with it because everyone does love it I'll just keep keep practicing. just wanted to know what you guys thought.
Thanks
Jackie
[/quote]

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 11:26pm
post #7 of 11

I prefer the crusting buttercream icing...I find it easier to work with and get it really nice and smooth! I subsitute part of the cricso with butter, but I don't go as far as 1/2 and 1/2...I find the 1/2 and 1/2 to be a little too soft for me!

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 11:38pm
post #8 of 11

Smoothing...what's the problem with smoothing? Smoothing is easy, just got to hold yer tounge right.

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 12 Nov 2005 , 3:45am
post #9 of 11

Dale...you are too funny! icon_lol.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 11

I use both at different times for different reasons.

If I'm making a buttercream covered cake that really has to have a very smooth perfect surface (mainly because it won't have a lot of added decoration), I use a thin coat of the all Crisco crusting buttercream. I no longer use that in between layers because I think other icings taste better for torting.

I use a light or non-crusting buttercream under fondant because the fondant needs some moisture to hold it to the cake. The icing I prefer for this is Wilton's Extra Special Buttercream--it tastes delicious because of the whipping cream in it, it's fluffy like IMBC or SwissBC--and if necessary, you can pipe with it. If white isn't an issue, I use 1/2 butter flavored crisco and 1/2 butter in the Extra Special and it is, in my opinion, delicious. This can be "whitened", if necessary, by adding a drop of violet color to the icing while it's in the final stages of being beaten. It won't be a bright white but it will no longer be yellow.

Rae

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 7:00pm
post #11 of 11

You not only have to hold your tongue just right, but you also have to wiggle your nose at the right time, too. The wiggle helps to prevent the itch that always happens in the middle of a squeeze on the icing bag.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%