Keeping Extra Ganache

Decorating By valstupendo Updated 14 Feb 2007 , 7:37pm by cheftaz

valstupendo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valstupendo Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 18

I need to make some samples for a bride to taste of different chocolate cakes and icings/fondants/ganache to see which she likes best. I have no need for any of these things for orders right now, so how would I go about making just enough for samples? Or, can I make a full recipe and save the extras? How long can you keep ganache to use later? If I were going to make a few different variations of the actual "cake" flavours, should I bake them as cupcakes for her to try? Any suggestions? This is my first time with a bride.
Thanks all!

17 replies
tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 18

I would suggest cupcakes... you can bake a full batch then freeze them for future tastings... ganache can be frozen for a very long time..

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 18

I would think you can just cut the recipe way down for ganache. It is a very easy recipe to half and so forth. You can also store left overs in the frig for a couple of weeks.

You could make several small cakes and just put the extras in the freezer, well wrapped. If you don't want to serve them for samples, think Cake Balls. Hope this helps.

Cindy

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 18

it freezes well also.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 18

When I can get the leftovers away from my husband, I freeze them.

valstupendo Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 18

thanks girls. i have a silly question though... when you say you can freeze cupcakes, or other cakes... do you mean without icing? i'm assuming yes, but if i want a cake layered, should i layer it and ice inbetween before freezing? or just freeze the whole cake the way it is, and then layer it, or carve it, or torte it after it's thawed? does the outside get mushy or slimey after freezing? anything i should be aware of before i think i've done something disasterous? LOL

thanks for all the tips.... i might half the ganache recipe at first (since i've never made it before) and if i like the resluts, i'll make more next time and freeze the rest. when i want to thaw the ganache, do i just leave it to come to room temperature? or do i have to reheat it?

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Quote:

when i want to thaw the ganache, do i just leave it to come to room temperature? or do i have to reheat it?

Either or depending what you want to do with it.
It will never be the same as freshly made though. Although I have never froze any as it never makes it that far
What I do when I have leftovers (done on purpose hehe) is make truffles. Or if I don't have the time to make them then I store the leftovers in my stomach MMMMMMM good. Until the next time and then just make too much again and repeat

heidihill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidihill Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 12:33am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by valstupendo

i'm assuming yes, but if i want a cake layered, should i layer it and ice inbetween before freezing? or just freeze the whole cake the way it is, and then layer it, or carve it, or torte it after it's thawed? does the outside get mushy or slimey after freezing? anything i should be aware of before i think i've done something disasterous?

I freeze my cakes all the time, after they have thoroughly cooled. The recipes I use are better after bing frozen

I usually freeze the whole cake, wrapped several time for a while, just until it's easier to handle. The I remove from freezer, level the top, cut my layer, brush off the crumbs, reassemble cake (no icing or filling), then wrap the whole cake in several layers again, then freeze the cake until I need it. Usually a few days later, sometimes a week or two, if I was super organsied. That way all the layer cutting work is already done.

I defrost by removing from the freezer and letting come to room temperature (or in fridge overnight), so the condensation form on the plastic wrap. The ice and fill as usual.

I don't think there would be a problem with filling the cake, if you are using a butter icing, but I haven't tried it. Other fillings may realise water on defrosting and make the cake mushy.

valstupendo Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 3:18am
post #9 of 18

thank you for the tip heidhill. I was thinking about that. Having them layered first sounds so great.... to be more organized and ahead of the gang! Do you think freezing them works better for scratch cakes or boxed cakes? Some of the store bought ones have pudding in them, and I've seen some recipes on CC that have pudding added, or a whipping cream added... do you think that would affect the freezing (or more appropriately... the defrosting)? Which do you usually use?

heidihill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidihill Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 9:12am
post #10 of 18

Sorry, I have never made a box mix cake, only scratch. However, I don't think it should make a difference. If the pudding or cream is added to the cake batter before it is cooked, then the cake comes out even textured, then I think it would be fine.

Epi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Epi Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 12:29pm
post #11 of 18

Remember ganache has cream in it. It will all depend on the expiration date of the cream. Remember it needs to be stored in the fridge.

Epi Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 12:36pm
post #12 of 18

Freezing a cake or cupcake is a very bad thing for taste. This is why:
The moisture is trapped in the space it is in then when you go to thaw it will not fully repopulate the material around the moisture that you are trying to repopulate this is what makes a cake bad. icon_biggrin.gif Another words the moisture will not go back into the cake fully most of it will go into the air and be forever lost. This is what makes it taste like a walmart cake.

cheftaz Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 1:16pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi

Remember ganache has cream in it. It will all depend on the expiration date of the cream. Remember it needs to be stored in the fridge.

It's actually fine at room temp for 2-3 days. The chocolate acts as a preservative

Epi Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 9:50pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi

It's actually fine at room temp for 2-3 days. The chocolate acts as a preservative

This is true the topic here WAS keeping it for an extended period of time. So hence, I am still right. According to the wilton book (page 35 of candy 123 book) truffles can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. Truffles are a form of ganache.

valstupendo Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 7:01pm
post #15 of 18

ok ladies... now i have one more question... i've been looking at photos of chocolate cakes covered in chocolate ganache and i'm wondering how on earth they've gotten it to look so smooth??? it almost looks like glass!! any suggestions on how to make it so silky smooth if covering an intire square OR round cake, sides and top... and also... i'm looking for a really dark colour... i'm trying it for the first time this weekend, but before i start, if i'm using semi-sweet bakers chocolate to make the ganache... will it come out that dark automatically? or should I add some black food colouring or something? one recipe i found online says to 'whip' up the ganache after it has sat in the fridge for a while, but i think that's good to use if i'm going to fill between the layers... but what about to put overtop? should i be putting a crumb coat over the cake first? or even a layer of icing overtop of that before putting the ganache? this is just a practice one i'm making this weekend, so i guess i'll get a chance to see what's what.... but i'd love some advice before starting. Thanks girls! thumbs_up.gif

Epi Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 7:31pm
post #16 of 18

cough* cough* some of us are guys too here lol. Ladies and gentleman? I need therapy now no body thinks a guys can help you with decorating issues. icon_smile.gif

valstupendo Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 7:34pm
post #17 of 18

LOLOL I'm so sorry!!! It's just ignorance on my part tapedshut.gif I hardly ever look at the name of the person responding... sorry.

I'll be sure to address ladies and "gentlemen" from now on! thumbs_up.gif

cheftaz Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 7:37pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi

cough* cough* some of us are guys too here lol. Ladies and gentleman? I need therapy now no body thinks a guys can help you with decorating issues. icon_smile.gif

I second that icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%