How Can I Make This Image For My Cards??

Business By JennT Updated 15 Nov 2005 , 11:28pm by adven68

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 5:17am
post #1 of 28

So, I've got my business name: SugarBelle - The Sweetest Things In The South....Thanks to lots of help from ya'll here at CC!! Now I'm trying to make up the image for my business cards. I was thinking of a way to tie in the southern belle idea with cakes...came up with the idea of having a southern belle in a hoop dress holding a cake. But I ran into a wall just trying to create it all on my own....don't have a great graphics program to work with, so it makes it kind of difficult. Out of frustration, I was searching the internet for images that could get my juices flowing a little better & came across this one....it's a postcard with a picture of an old sign for a diner called the "Richmond Belle". It's basically what I had pictured in my mind...even the green color of the dress is what I was wanting. Here, the "Belle" is seeming to hold out a tray of something....too old and blurry of a pic for me to be sure...So imagine her with a cake! But the sideways stance and everything is perfect! Where the word Richmond is on the skirt, I would have SugarBelle...in an arc. Then, where the word Belle is, I would have my tag-line. Then underneath where her feet would be I'd put my contact info.I just need some help & direction on how I can create this on my own. I know there's some of you out there who are graphics pros.....I'd love some advice!!! icon_redface.gif
LL

27 replies
gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 11:59am
post #2 of 28

My favorite graphic program is Print Master -- they have a lot of clip art and is very easy to use.

JennT Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 28

gilson6 - thanks! I'll look for that program when I'm out shopping today! icon_smile.gif

Bump......

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 28

The program I use is called Photofiltre. It's free and fantastic!

www.photofiltre.com

It'll be able to do all the things your wanting. If you need any help editing or using the program, feel free to PM me.

JennT Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 4:39pm
post #5 of 28

Thanks Lisa!! I just downloaded it & am going to try and figure it out....I'll let ya know if I have any trouble! Thanks a million!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Jennifer

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilson6

My favorite graphic program is Print Master -- they have a lot of clip art and is very easy to use.

I just love Printmaster too..another good one is Corel Draw..but a bit pricey!!

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 28

I fooled around with this image for you. Might not be what your looking for but I had a few minutes free
LL

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 28

I have the Print Master Gold - version 16. I just searched my image collection, ander people, women, and southern belle (software & internet connection). I have lots of great graphics, but none matching the description of what you are looking for. I love this program, but I'm not finding what you need with it, maybe another version of PrintMaster would work for you.

JennT Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 10:39am
post #9 of 28

Thanks everybody!! Psurette - cute! thanks for doing that! And Lisa - I downloaded the program, but I just can't seem to figure out how to work it for what I'm trying to do...maybe you could give me a few pointers?

Well...here's what I've come up with over the past few days....please - try not to laugh!! HA! It's kinda looking like she's thinking of the wrong kind of sugar!! lol icon_rolleyes.gif I came up with the idea of making the skirt sort of resemble cake layers, I like that part of it....but the body (which I butchered trying to do a cut out) and the face and the hair are just wayyyyy off!!! LOL I seriously need some help on this one! Anybody have any ideas/suggestions/advice??? icon_redface.gif
LL

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 10:52am
post #10 of 28

I like it!...I would decorate the skirt with some swags and tie them together with roses for the "cake layer effect!"

Even the face is ok..remember the card is going to be small so all the distortion will go away, the Southern Curls are a great touch!

Now...Psurette can work on MY image..I "stole" my little man from my microsoft program..

Which has a way of making cards..if you go to the "format" button and pick cards and envelopes..you can preview how your card will look.

Save your image when you get it the way you want, then save it in a file...example..desktop or my pictures.

Then when you do your card with microsoft word, if you have this program...all you do is hit the 'insert" button...then picture...then from file. look for you image and click 'insert'.

psurrette..now...We need to talk..hehehehe!

then you get everything on the space..edit as you like....highlight, copy and paste to all the spaces of you would like to preview your card before making them...

Just print out a sheet of paper..if you dont' want to waste your ink..don't copy and paste..lol

Good luck with your card. I love designing my stuff also!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennT

Thanks everybody!! Psurette - cute! thanks for doing that! And Lisa - I downloaded the program, but I just can't seem to figure out how to work it for what I'm trying to do...maybe you could give me a few pointers?

Well...here's what I've come up with over the past few days....please - try not to laugh!! HA! It's kinda looking like she's thinking of the wrong kind of sugar!! lol icon_rolleyes.gif I came up with the idea of making the skirt sort of resemble cake layers, I like that part of it....but the body (which I butchered trying to do a cut out) and the face and the hair are just wayyyyy off!!! LOL I seriously need some help on this one! Anybody have any ideas/suggestions/advice??? icon_redface.gif

I think she's very pretty! Yes...the program has a lot of buttons/functions to figure out. There's a tutorial at the site that might help.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 3:36pm
post #12 of 28

Jenn T...do you want me to give it a whirl for you? I'm a self-taught graphics geek....

Print Master is great...I also have Photoshop and if you give me a day, I will come up with something.....

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 4:03pm
post #13 of 28

JennT...I love what you did with your graphic...that is definitely a start. thumbs_up.gif

butrcup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butrcup Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 9:08pm
post #14 of 28

I just have to say this....
be careful she doesn't look like she's popping out of the cake-you may get more business than you can handle-LOL

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 13 Nov 2005 , 9:32pm
post #15 of 28

..with a bit more tweeking you'll have exactly what you want!! It's really cute!

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 1:31am
post #16 of 28

I did a search for Print Master by broderbund, they have a free download here it is

http://expressit.broderbund.com/400_co_branding/internationalpaper/printmasterse.asp

Good Luck

Krista

JennT Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 2:12am
post #17 of 28

All I can say is WOW icon_surprised.gif !! Thanks for all the help everyone!! Since I orginally posted my "creepy shugabelle" at 4:30 this morning, my computer has been acting funny all day, so I'm just now checking back in! Some great examples you all have worked up!! I really appreciate it...gets those "juices" flowing better!! icon_biggrin.gif

Krista - thanks for that link! I downloaded it & am going to see if I can find my way around...that's so nice of ya! icon_smile.gif

butrcup - LOL...exactly what I was thinking!! HA! I think it's the expression on her face that says "Come on over here and get some SHUGGA!!!" hehehehe Instead of..."I sell cakes made of sugar!" lol Definitely gotta work on that part! icon_rolleyes.gif

adven68 - I'd LOVE for ya to give it a whirl!!! GO FOR IT!! PM me & let me know if you'd like me to email you what I've got so far or anything else...if you have the time, that'd be so AWESOME!!! THANKS!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Lisa - I didn't realize there was a tutorial on the download page...DUH!! lol icon_rolleyes.gif I'll check it out...thanks!

ThePastryDiva - Love the idea of the swags & "piping"....gotta figure out how to do that without it looking too cheesy or being "too much", know what I mean?? lol And I thought the southern belle hairdo was pretty good idea...just gotta get it in scale!

Couple of things I want to make happen with this little chicky: green color of "cake dress" needs to be more subdued...almost sagey, but without becoming dull. I'd love to have the girl facing sideways, like on the original inspiration image, & holding a tray w/cake. Keep the southern belle hairdo and put a flower in her hair on the side...yellow maybe? Next - the text....I think I want a darkish teal...think that might look good on the deep sagey green?? I know I like that combo on fabric, etc...not sure if it will work here, though?? It's sort of retro-ish...that's what I'd like to go for here to some extent, anyway.

Wish me luck...back to work on it now, since DH is getting the boys bathed & in bed!! Free time!! HA! icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks to ALL of you for your help/ideas/advice & funny stuff!! Keep it coming!!! thumbs_up.gificon_razz.gif

Thanks to ALL of you for your ideas/comments/advice, etc!! Ya'll are SOOOOOO GREAT! icon_biggrin.gif

JennT Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 8:13am
post #18 of 28

ok...so I can't sleep!! I've been working on SugarBelle...and here's my latest version. I started thinking that it would be cool to use "her" as my entire card...with my info "piped out" on the "layers" of the cake-dress!! So here's what I did......

Not crazy about the background color...suggestions welcome. Still need to soften the green color to more of a sage shade, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to do the swag piping effect...might do a google search for fabric/fabric swags and see what I come up with. I need an image of an all white cake, but that one will do for now, and what about the text? Should I use another font? And what about putting my name on it? My Dad thinks I should leave it off...reads more professionally without an individual's name on it, like it's an actual shop or something, he said....but I'm not a shop icon_confused.gif ....YET! icon_rolleyes.gif

So what'd ya'll think??? Please be honest.....
LL

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 2:39pm
post #19 of 28

I think it is too cute! I think when you added the bows on the corners and separted each layer with a line that helped a lot. When the swag was suggested I thought that was a great idea! THe only thing that I am thinking now is that with the writing on the actual cake, the swag may make it too busy. Just thought I would give you my opinion! I think it is very cute though!

Charlotte

edited to add: Ok, duh! guess the white lines were already there!! AND they are roses and not bows!! LOL so maybe that just throws the advice out the window! But I think the roses made the white lines stand out more then!! lol sorry.

JennT Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 12:18am
post #20 of 28

I know what you mean about adding the swags...it just might be too busy with the text there. Hmmmmm.....what to do?? Maybe just two between the roses at her waist? Maybe I could just shorten the text on the middle layer...I know it's too small to read, so here's what it says: Custom cakes & other sweet creations for your special occasions. The bottom layer says: Name, Number, By Appointment Only. Anything ya'll would like to offer is great!

BalloonWhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BalloonWhisk Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 3:44am
post #21 of 28

That is soooo cute but have you tried it out in card size yet? That is a lot of stuff to fit in a little space.

adven68 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 12:32pm
post #22 of 28

Hi there...I made a more graphic version for you.....I like this style on cards cause it's very sparse...you can have the printer add the text...I wasn't sure what you might want on it....and they will make it very clear.......if you hand the the picture with the text already on it, it may look distorted when it's printed (just my experience)

hope you like it....

btw...as I'm trying to add the file, I am asked to make it smaller....If you like it, I can email you the original size which will be better for your printer to work with....
LL

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 12:54pm
post #23 of 28

That is beautiful, Adven68!

adven68 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 2:29pm
post #24 of 28

Thanks peanut....in reality the lines are not broken, but the resolution fades when you have to make the picture smaller to upload....

Something woke me a 5:00 am and I was inspired to draw something.....

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 3:28pm
post #25 of 28

I really admire your creativity.

adven68 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 4:42pm
post #26 of 28

Thanks peanut....I got the idea from a bridal shower invitation...then I added the cake and changed the hair and dress to be more suitable...

JennT Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 6:01pm
post #27 of 28

Oh wow!!! adven68, that's awesome!! Please email her to me when you have time. Thanks so much for doing that....she's just beautiful!! icon_wink.gif

adven68 Posted 15 Nov 2005 , 11:28pm
post #28 of 28

You are very welcome!!! I pm'd you for your email address....I was also thinking that if you could have a printer die-cut this shape, that would be totally awesome....People love cutsie things like that....and if they remember your business card, they will remember you too!

I love doing stuff like this!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%