Hav Anyone Done Wilton New Fondant And Gumpaste Classes

Decorating By trini Updated 12 Feb 2007 , 7:21pm by mimimil

trini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trini Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 19

well i have sign up for it icon_cool.gif and it looks very good it has a lot of good ideas and the kit is well worth it than buying everything seperate let me know if any one has done it

18 replies
nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 19

cool... I would love to see the cakes they make? Anybody have pictures??

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 19

I am in the middle of it right now. Just finished the second class of the course on Saturday. Be aware that it is designed for begginers. The only prerequisite is that the registrant must have course 1 to take it. I have all three Wilton classes before this so there is a lot of review which is fine with me. Next class is going to be great for me as it is all about the flowers. I am enjoying it because of the social aspect as well.

nefgaby Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 19

Do you have pics of your cake? Would love to see it...

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 19

I started my first lesson of the course on Friday. The students seemed to enjoy it and I had lots of fun teaching it. I have a good feeling about this course. icon_biggrin.gif

cake-angel Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 19

Sorry, I didn't take pictures of mine as it was done with sample techniques all over it. It didn't seem nice to me plus I was mad at my cake in general. I was experimenting with fillings and the cake was slipping all over the place. Here is a link to the cakes some other people taking the class made.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-103561.html

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 19

Wilton came out with a kit for this class, did they ever develop a book for it as well?

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 19

There is a book, but you have to take the class to get it...just like for it's level 1, 2, 3.

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 19

thumbs_up.gif Wilton has a great book for the new course. It's got A LOT of new cakes with instructions.

It looks just like the course 1, 2, and 3 book.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 19

I'll look for it at JoAnns. They sell the book separately from the kits (whereas Michaels doesn't make you buy the book!) icon_confused.gif I don't really need it as I was trained at the teachers meeting last summer, but I like having their books for reference and pictures.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 4:07pm
post #11 of 19

I had the first class last Wednesday. It was alot of review, especially if you took course 3. I am looking forward to learning the flowers they are going to show. I am a bit dissappointed that they aren't going to show more flowers. I guess I was expecting it to be more along the lines of the "gumpaste flower kit" you can buy to teach yourself.
I did like that it came with all of the supplies that I have had my eye on to play with fondant. I used my 40% off coupon to buy the kit so it only cost me $17.99.
Luckily all of the students in my class have taken all three of the other courses so there is not alot of hand holding going on.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 5:10pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake-angel

I am in the middle of it right now. Just finished the second class of the course on Saturday. Be aware that it is designed for begginers. The only prerequisite is that the registrant must have course 1 to take it. I have all three Wilton classes before this so there is a lot of review which is fine with me. Next class is going to be great for me as it is all about the flowers. I am enjoying it because of the social aspect as well.

I go to my second class tonight, are they going to have a flowers course too?

cake-angel Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 5:18pm
post #13 of 19

I don't know. I just meant that class 3 of the fondant and gumpaste course focuses on the three flowers we will learn. I signed up originally because I thought there would be more about flowers than there was but I am happy to learn techniques and apply them to teaching myself other flowers. We don't have many other options in our area for classes. There are rumors that maybe someday in the future there will be a flowers class by wilton. A couple of instructors have hinted at it but they always are quick to say it won't be anytime soon.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 5:34pm
post #14 of 19

Oh, ok I understand. I thought the same thing. icon_lol.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 5:35pm
post #15 of 19

I too signed up thinking that there would be more flowers, or more working with gumpaste. But it is giving me some good ideas and I'm glad I am taking it.

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 6:55pm
post #16 of 19

bobwonderbuns, Joann's will start the Gumpaste/Fondant course in May, (at least in my area, don't know about your location). They should have the materials in store a bit before that.[/quote]

nefgaby Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:05pm
post #17 of 19

Does anybody know if the is a way to get the book without going to the class??

missy77510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missy77510 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:19pm
post #18 of 19

I am taking the course now. It is fun to take. I am taking both course three and this one at the same time. I say even if you don't take the class the tools in the kit are pretty neat to have. As for the book, sometimes you can find them online at like ebay, maybe after Feb. (since the class just came out) I had bought previous course books at Hobby Lobby, but at Micheals where I am taking my classes they give us the book. You make 2 cakes in this class, the first one being a sampler (It has a drape design, a handkerchief, and garland ribbon) and the final cake they give you a few options for it. The flowers in this class are carnation, fantasy flower and daisy I think.

mimimil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimimil Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 7:21pm
post #19 of 19

hi ladies,

i started my class last night and i was quite happy to find out that i was the only one who signed up for the class.. lucky me i get one on one lessons... i am super excited!! yes it seems like review but hey who gets tired of reviewing techniques?? practice makes perfect...

mimi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%