Chocolate Chip Cookies Flat!

Baking By pope77 Updated 12 Feb 2007 , 11:46pm by indydebi

pope77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pope77 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 5

Whenever I make chocolate chip cookies I use the recipe on the back of the bag - my family loves these cookies- but they always turn out really flat icon_confused.gif I don't get it! I see cookies that are in diners or store made bakery cookies and they are not flat either!! Anyone have any suggestions?

4 replies
KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 5
pope77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pope77 Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks soo much!! I will have to try again and refridgerate the dough before baking! thumbs_up.gif

KCotten Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCotten Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 5

I had made "those" cookies for a long time. Then after not making them for a long time I thought I'd make them again one day. All of the sudden I had the same problem you are talking about! I was SO mad. Every time I made them they turned out flat and I could not seem to figure out the problem. One day I realized that I was spraying the pan and "those" cookies are cooked on an "ungreased" cookie sheet! LOL Just when I thought I knew I couldn't be wrong. That's what I get for thinking!!
I hope this helps ya!

Kim

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 5

I stopped using that recipe forever ago because of that reason. I don't remember them spreading so thin when I was a kid. I will SWEAR the recipe or something has changed over the years because they are just a mess now!

What I have learned is ......

Shortening causes cookies to rise and butter causes cookies to spread.
Baking powder causes cookies to rise and baking soda causes cookies to spread.

I found this out when I came across an alternate recipe in a Nestle Cookbook. It's basically the Toll House recipe except trade shortening for butter and powder for soda. (think "Baking Powder Biscuits" that rise nice and tall with shortening and baking pwdr!).

(I've since created my own chocolate chip recipe that will make the Toll House people cry with envy! icon_twisted.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%