Ruby Red Icing

Decorating By angief Updated 12 Feb 2007 , 2:52am by Wendoger

angief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angief Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 12:31am
post #1 of 8

I have an anniversary cake to make this week and they have asked for details in a Ruby Red shade. I'll be using all buttercream icing. Can anyone tell me what I need to add to red icing to achieve this color? Or do I make it with something besides red?

Thanks!
Angie

7 replies
paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 12:58am
post #2 of 8

airbrushing is the best way to achive a very shiny ruby red, see my photos for a really red cake, but mine is fondant

milal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milal Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 1:17am
post #3 of 8

i used alot of americolor red and it was red, try that.

angief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angief Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 1:43am
post #4 of 8

Whenever I use a lot of red it just ends up being a bright red. The lady described the color as a deep, dark red. I didn't know if I added black or purple to red icing if it would help darken it a little. Has anyone tried that?

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 1:48am
post #5 of 8

For a darker red I just add a smiggin of black, for OK Sooner red I use the violet. HTH Just remember the color gets darker the longer it sits.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 1:56am
post #6 of 8

Depending on the flavor of the cake and/or how much of the ruby red is going onto it, I have added black cherry koolaid to my buttercream/royal and gotten good results. A nice deep, dark red. It smells and tastes like cherries though, so that may or may not work out.

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 2:45am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by doescakestoo

For a darker red I just add a smiggin of black, for OK Sooner red I use the violet. HTH Just remember the color gets darker the longer it sits.

I currently have bright red hands from trying to make my fondant red a little while ago (ran out of gloves!) but I agree, I would add a teeny bit of black too!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 2:52am
post #8 of 8

I added brown to my americolor super red to get a deep red and it worked out for me.
thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%