Sugarveil System...

Decorating By MelC Updated 16 Nov 2005 , 3:02am by MelC

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 19

Has anyone tried this system yet? I'm thinking of asking for it for my X-mas/b-day present from DH, but I'd love to hear from an actual user before I invest that much into it!

18 replies
gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 19

There was something on there about it last week. I looked at the web site. WOW!

MelC Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 19

Yes, I've been to the web site and seen the demo, the edible wedding dress, etc. that's why I'm so fascinated!

However, the system is $210 US and I'd hate to spend that much $$ then find out it's not all it's cracked up to be! I'm hoping with all the wonderful people here, that somebody has actually tried it and can tell me if it is as utterly amazing as it looks!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 19

..I would love to hear some feedback on this too!! Anybody??

MelC Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 2:22am
post #5 of 19

Anyone?

Hello.... o .... o .. o icon_lol.gif

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 3:39am
post #6 of 19

I've never used it but saw it on Food Network. Thought is looked SO cool!! In the demonstration--it seemed pretty easy--of course, doesn't it always! lol!! I checked out the site, too, can you say EXPENSIVE!?! I could not justify the cost.

Sorry I can't be of much help.

Lisa

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 4:28am
post #7 of 19

i plan on trying it. I saw it demo'd at ices and at a local cake club meeting. I have to say at this point I am not going to buy the whole system but just the mix. They say you can use the product from a piping bag as well.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 19

I don't have the sugar vail system, but do have a air pen. The problem with this is that the motor that came with it wasn't strong enough to do what i wanted, so just recently (after viewing the sugarvail) i went to the pet store and bought the largest motor i could find (it a motor to push air into the fish tank) cost was around $40 and it does the trick, i can now pipe with buttercream through the thing. Now to just find the time to play with it.

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 19

um... what website are we all talking about? And (color me ignorant, but).... sugarveil?

MelC Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 19

Calejo... go to

www.sugarveil.com

It looks SO cool!

MelC Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 19

Please... anyone? tapedshut.gif

klkhoneycutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klkhoneycutt Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 7:52pm
post #12 of 19

I saw it done at a wedding expo that cost an arm and leg to get in but it was awesome I am trying to talk my hubby into redoing our vows so I can wear it icon_biggrin.gif I never had a real wedding it was just a JP wedding Kevin my hubby was actually on call (for MPI) that day and I was on break between collage classes lol It was a spure of the moment moment
lol
If I were more advanced as a decorator I would buy it ..
Lisa

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 7:54pm
post #13 of 19

I just can't see how it would be very comfortable to wear. Can you sit in it? Won't it break off?

klkhoneycutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klkhoneycutt Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 8:05pm
post #14 of 19

They have a free shipping offer going on now!!!

MelC Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 12:15am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilson6

I just can't see how it would be very comfortable to wear. Can you sit in it? Won't it break off?

They're not selling the dress for actual brides... it was just a gimmick for a couple of trade shows so people could see the potential of this stuff! icon_surprised.gif

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 12:42am
post #16 of 19

Well...we did get to play with the sugar veil pen at the Atlantic City National Bread and Pastry Championship. They had their wedding cake on display and a table set up to sell and try out the sugarveil system. So play we did... While it was cool to play with...(pastrypuff wanted one of course) I just don't know if the money they get for the system and the sugar (you will have to keep buying from them) makes it worth your while. It kinda feels rubbery and pliable until it dries. I think it scored a little lower in the detail work you can do with Royal icing as far as look...but it does not break as easily. The heat from the "Brides" keep it pliable. I would try it first before spending the money.
Oh by the way the cake was suspended by fishing wire and had crashed to the ground by day2. icon_sad.gif I have a larger pic of the cake if you want to see a closeup Mel. Just let me know
Peggy
LL

MelC Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 1:09am
post #17 of 19

Thank you!!! I was beginning to think nobody had used this thing! How did the quality of the unit seem? Was it really any different than an airpen?

I wish I had a chance to try one out, but I don't think there's anything around here where that would be possible!

Mel

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 1:43am
post #18 of 19

Well....Your Birthday is comming up soon... party.gificon_biggrin.gif and they do have a 30 day return policy... and free shipping right now (although i don't know if that includes Canada)

"If you are not satisfied with any item which you have purchased from us, simply return it by following the guildlines below:

Items must be returned along with a copy of the invoice, in resalable condition and including all essential components, within 30 days of purchase.
Full refunds will be given, less shipping and handling charges. "
I have never used an airpen so I can't compare.... the unit is small and mostly plastic.
Just wish you could try one first.

MelC Posted 16 Nov 2005 , 3:02am
post #19 of 19

Well, I did it... I just ordered the Sugarveil system!!! My b-day pressie from the in-laws & my DH, so I hope it's worth it!

I'll keep you all posted once I get it a try it out!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%