Pricing Sheet Cake Help Please!!!!!!

Business By cakebybek Updated 7 Nov 2005 , 7:30pm by dulcechef

cakebybek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebybek Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 10

Need to know what to charge for a buttercream 1/2 sheet cake....

9 replies
mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 10

Well, no one can tell you exactly what you should charge. This is really going to depend on the area that you live, is the sheet cake filled, decorations etc.
Alot of times, rather than basing on what others say, look at what cakes are being sold for in your area and go off that.

cakebybek Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you I will have to call around.

cakebybek Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 10

Ok I called Sams Club and they said 20.00 - 24.00 for a half sheet cake that is crazy. If I charged 1.00 for a slice thats like 72.00 not with decorations. I live in the detroit metro area and I knoe cakes are more then that in the sub. of detroit do you think 1.00 per slice is to much??? Help Please!!!

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 10

The only time that I know you charge buy the slice is a wedding cake. Don't call Sam't that is the same as calling Walmart surely there are some bakeries out there like Baums, Gambino's I do know what is in your area but please do not compare your prices with grocery stores you will never make anything icon_smile.gif

cakebybek Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 10

Ok well would you charge like 50.00 for a half of sheet with buttercream and a shell border and maybe a few buttercream roses on it??? Would that be a fair price.

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 10

I can't charge per serving for anything but a wedding cake either, b/c the price would be too high as well. Call your local bakeries, not grocery stores, and see what they charge. There are several previous topics on here as well on how to figure your cost and time, if you choose to go that route.

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 10

cakesbybek,
I live in Saginaw, MI and around here the prices vary. I'm not real sure what you consider a half sheet (I go by sizes) but I charge $25.00 for a 9"x13", $35.00 for an 11"x15" and $40.00 for a 12"x18". That is for one layer with buttercream and simple decorations. I don't have a shop though so I charge less. I know the cake shop I get all my supplies from charges $45.00 for their 12"x18". I definitely think you could get more though being in Detroit. I would think being its a bigger city and near so many suburbs that are pretty posh. The best thing is to call around to bake shops (not Sam's or Walmart) and see what they charge. I never compare my prices to Sam's or Walmart because the quality is totally different!
HTH,
Heather

P.S. We'll have to get together sometime and talk cake being nearby (sort of)!

cakebybek Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks you guys sooooooo much for the help in half of sheet cake i mean 12x18 that is a full half of sheet I think, and yes HeatherMarie we will have to get together sometime me and my husband are always going north just to get away sometimes and I would love to meet up. You know it is to bad they CC should have a cruise sometime and all of us could go and meet everybody and talk cakes!!!!

dulcechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulcechef Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 7:30pm
post #10 of 10

I usually charge my cakes per person. For instance if I am doing a cake for 50 people and I charge $1.50 per person the cake will be $75.00. I have per person prices depending what I am doing. Simple buttercream cakes start at $1 and fondant cakes start at $2. I charge separately for any flowers or figurines.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%