Whipped Icing

Baking By alracntna Updated 7 Nov 2005 , 8:12pm by ncdessertdiva

alracntna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alracntna Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 15

I did a cake this past weekend with buttercream icing and the lady called me back and said the cake was beautiful and everyone loved it but the icing was too sweet. So I need a good recipe for whipped icing and I need to know if I can decorate with it. Can I do a 3D cake with it? TIA

14 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 15

when you find one I would love to know it too. I love whipped icing, but everytime I use it or taste it (other then bakery or grocery store type) it's too sweet. I would love to get the recipe stores use for whipped frosting, I have to say I eat that frosting and usually will forget the cake icon_lol.gif

alracntna Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 15

Just wanted to bump this so maybe more can see it.

ken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ken Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 15

I don't have a whipped icing recipe, but I posted this on the forum about a week ago I believe. I got the same comment about the buttercream being too sweet. I use the all crisco recipe but still everyone loves it. What I did was experiment with it. Instead of having 1 cup of shortening to 1lb of powdered sugar, I put 2 cups of shortening to 1lb of sugar. Then I added 1 package of Dream Whip to it. A dash of salt, and used heavy cream to losen it up. Once you do that, it gets fluffy. You can add the heavy cream until you get the consistency that you need or want. It is so good and ever since I started using this recipe, I haven't gotten a single complaint, even from the person who told me it was sweet. One more thing, it doesn't crust too well, so if you are putting a picture on it, you'll need to put it in the frige to help it get hard enough. Hope this helps some. - Kenya

alracntna Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks ken I will try that. Did you get any help from anyone on your post?

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 15

..if you add a bit of meringue powder or even flour, you should get a crusting on your icing!

ken Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 15

Naw...I didn't get any help from my other post. I just wanted to put it out there for someone else to try because honestly it is so good to me. I combined everything I saw other people doing (dream whip icing, whipping cream in the icing, salt), and tried everything to my taste. It really taste similar to the bakery icing. Hope you like it as much as I do! - Kenya

alracntna Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks Ken and MrsMissey.

Ken do you sub the heavy cream for the water?

mrsmissey how much flour?

ken Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 15

Yeah I sub the heavy cream for water. I will definitely add the flour to it so that it can crust a little, but i like it being smooth and creamy. its good to have it crust for me when i have a transfer to do. thanks MrsMissey for the advice.

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 7:45pm
post #10 of 15

SquirrellyCakes using whipping cream in her butter crème Icing.
I did try to make whipped cream icing ones it tests well but not holding designs for long time.
I just whipped whipping cream with some cornstarch and confectioner sugar.

If anybody got good recipe like stores use please send me.

Thanks
Nitu

Nitu Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 7:51pm
post #11 of 15

I think stores use egg yolks in their frosting.

I have one very fluffy vanilla frosting recipe but not whipped cream.

4 cups confectioner sugar
½ pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 tablespoons whole milk
1-tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Blend it together until fluffy.

Thanks
Nitu

alracntna Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 7:52pm
post #12 of 15

thanks Nitu

alracntna Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 15

do you know if this whipped icing will work for 3D cakes or sculped cakes. I guess what I mean is can I use it as "glue" like you can buttercream?

Nitu Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 8:05pm
post #14 of 15

I think no you can't use whipped cream like glue.
Butter cream, royal icing or any icing that used sugar a lot will work as glue.

Whipped cream doesn't have a more sugar thats why it tests yummy.

Thanks
Nitu

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 8:12pm
post #15 of 15

I use one each tablespoon of vanilla, almond and butter flavoring for my BC and everyone loves the taste! They all say that its not "too sweet". I use just the Crisco in my frosting as well. No complaints.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%