Hard Drying Modelling Paste

Decorating By stefi Updated 14 Feb 2007 , 1:06pm by stefi

stefi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stefi Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 18

I need some help here please..If I make box out of hard drying modelling paste how long it can be kept before use? Also, if I coat internal area of the same box with chocolate can it be fill up with some chocolate and sour cherry mousse without danger everything will fall apart?
Last question, can I keep the whole thing in fridge for about 18 hours once finished?

The cake must be box like, since lady who is getting it has to be able open the lid and found something exciting laying there on top - a Tiffany ring! Nice boyfriend ha icon_lol.gif

Thanks for your help.

17 replies
jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 18

Hi, I don't know about filling it with chocolate - but i wouldn't put modelling paste in the fridge - could you fill it just before you hand it over ? icon_smile.gif

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 18

Your modelling paste box can last forever. As I am not sure about the filling in the box try it to see what happens but just try a small bit first. I would probably suggest that is shouldn't fall apart. I am not so sure I would put it in the fridge for that length of time but again try it. Not so sure I would want to put a ring from Tiffany's in mousse.

stefi Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:03am
post #4 of 18

Thanks Ladies, it seams there is no other way than give it a go.....about coating it with chocolate I was confident, but puting it into fridge not so much, now after your reply not at all...
I will make cake in the same size mould as "box" and then just transfer it once it's set....I'll do it upside-down style, so it can be just turn into box when set.

Puting the ring into mousse? Yeah, it is a bit dangerous, but that is what he want....it is going to sit right on top supported with little chocolate "board", so should be OK, let't hope anyway..... icon_twisted.gif

boring Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 10:07am
post #5 of 18

Good luck, don't forget the pictures when you have finished and a report how it went.

stefi Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 11:53am
post #6 of 18

Thanks Boring, I'll post some photos after 24th February.
Cheers,
Stefi

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 11:57am
post #7 of 18

Stefi
What's stopping you from making the whole box out of chocolate, than the whole thing would be yummy to each. You can make thick type chocolate panels, stick them together with melted chocoalte and then put the mousse inside.
Or does the box have to be of some particular colour that wont be achieved with chocolate?
Nati

stefi Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 12:00am
post #8 of 18

Hi Nati, yes, you're right, it could be greaat to make choc. box, but it must be "Tiffany" style box. Because of of the ring. So I have to make it in Tiffany blue color.
I appreciate you tought.

Cheers,

Stefi

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 7:04am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefi

Hi Nati, yes, you're right, it could be greaat to make choc. box, but it must be "Tiffany" style box. Because of of the ring. So I have to make it in Tiffany blue color.
I appreciate you tought.

Cheers,

Stefi

aaaaaaaaah yes and you wouldnt be able to get a nice rounded top or anything like that. hm
Nati

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 7:20am
post #10 of 18

Have you thought about making up the gumpaste box and using it as a mold for the chocolate? If you put plastic wrap inside the box and fill it with melted chocolate pop it into the freezer for a couple of minutes and then pour off the unset chocolate, you should be left with a little chocolate cup, the same shape and size as the interior of your Tiffany box, then you pop the whole thing back into the freezer for another 5 minutes and take it out of your gumpaste box. Fill the chocolate mold with the mousse and ring etc and place it into the gumpaste part at the last minute, that way the paste won't be affected by the moisture in the fridge.

boring Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 11:03am
post #11 of 18

Probably a stupid question but wouldn't the plastic wrap make the chocolate wrinkly?

What I mean is wouldn't it be hard to get it straight?

I know its only going inside but...

I had anoteh thought you could put a chocolate post in the middle fro the ring to be placed on.

franjmc Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 11:23am
post #12 of 18

Well yes it would make the chocolate wrinkly, but it's going inside the gumpaste box and then being filled with chocolate mousse, so how is it going to be seen?

boring Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 11:50am
post #13 of 18

Sorry Fran, Don't get me wrong I realise it will not be seen and its a great idea and I personally would go this way but others might want it straight. Having said that I wonder if acetate would work? I guess it would depend on how much time you want to spend on it and how much you were going to charge for all the time and effort you were putting into the inside of the box/cake. As I have never seen a Tiffany box I don't know what sort of attention to detail they put into their boxes.

stefi Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 12:36pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks Fran, this is an excellent suggestion thumbs_up.gif , but....this is going to be large cake 30cmx30cm so I am affraid transfer of delicate choc. cup full of mousse into just right size box will be a bit of overkill.
If this would be small ring size box, Iwould jump on your idea, but in this case, I still need to think....
Do you really beleve it will fall appart if sit in fridge for a while, or just get a bit soggy on outside?

Boring, talking wrinkly, people in my culture love their food and their cakes especialy, so nobody care about small imperfection. I am covering soft cakes (Dobos, mousse etc.) all the time in paste (most of the time made by me) using upside-down techique, everybody is happy with that. Being Kosher is no.1 request, and Taste is no. 2, else come after.

Cheers,

Stefi

franjmc Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 9:10pm
post #15 of 18

Sorry Stefi, I didn't realise you were making such a huge Tiffany box. I guess I just assumed it would be small because it was holding a ring. The chocolate box certainly wouldn't work very well icon_redface.gif
I'm out of suggestions I'm afraid. Looking forward to seeing your work of art though.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 12:39am
post #16 of 18

Stefi, what sort of cake are you making ? I think i mistakenly thought you were just making a choc.mousse to put in the modelling paste box icon_redface.gif
still wouldn't put mod.paste in fridge - gets all wet & soggy ....not being very helpful i'm afraid ! need to go get that coffee... icon_lol.gif
let me know how it goes

boring Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 12:06pm
post #17 of 18

well here goes I will stick my neck out again. You can if the fondant goes a bit soggy or even shiny for that matter put it in an oven with only the light ON, only. The light dries it out but I have never tried this on a cake that I have had in the freezer or one that the fondant is soggy. But I guess it would be worth a try to see what happens so maybe on a smaller trial piece. I guess its only in my family that they insist on prefection or to a certain extent.

stefi Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 1:06pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks Fran, don't worry, how could you know the size of the box, and who would asume than someone is going to propose among 50 people?
Actualy, he propose today, cake is for engengement party, and ring is surprise (he thinks icon_lol.gif )
Cheers,
Stefi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%