Distraction! Pie!!!

Decorating By sunlover00 Updated 13 Nov 2005 , 11:36pm by sunlover00

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 4:14am
post #1 of 41

I've had a few slow weeks for cake...a welcomed break. But today I bought a new recipe book that is 100 apple pie recipes! oh, man....I LOVE apple pie! I bought it at the Crackerbarrell.

I want to make them all! I felt the same way when I got my Cake Mix Doctor book!

Trouble is....I am on a strict diet until Thanksgiving! icon_cry.gif

I told my family that when the week of Thanksgiving arrives, I'm making as many pies of all kinds that I can, and we're having a pie buffet for dinner! icon_biggrin.gif

40 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 4:20am
post #2 of 41

LOL ... too funny sunlover00

Cady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cady Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 4:32am
post #3 of 41

That is my kind of dinner.........lol......I love pie!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 4:38am
post #4 of 41

Never had sucess at making apple or lemon meringue pies so I gave up. icon_cry.gif

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 41

LOVE APPLE PIE!! And lemon meringue is my fave! Hubby makes that for me for my birthday homemade! And he can't even make toast!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Nov 2005 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 41

...llok on the bright side....Thanksgiving is only a few short weeks away!!

MominSC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MominSC Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 1:12am
post #7 of 41

Hmmmm I love pie!!! Can I get directions to where the buffet is?? LOL Sounds yummy thumbs_up.gif

Beth

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 1:27am
post #8 of 41

icon_razz.gif That's right, eat desert first, life's too short! Apple pie is my favorite, peach second, then comes marionberry....ooooohhhhhh!!! thumbs_up.gif Man, I can feel the pounds gathering around to cheer me on just talking about all those pies! icon_surprised.gif

mywifesDH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mywifesDH Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 5:40am
post #9 of 41

Right away now this reminds me of Almanzo Wilder in Farmer Boy, one of the Little House on the Prairie books, by Laura Ingalls Wilder. There is a statement about him at the Christmas dinner his mother always prepared:::::

"When he sat down to eat pie, he wished he had eaten nothing else." icon_lol.gif

(((I can relate to that))) icon_biggrin.gif

Does anyone here enjoy the wet-bottom type of pies??? Here in Lancaster County, PA, we have five flavors that I know of::: Shoofly (a Lancaster County staple, and no meal should be without it. icon_biggrin.gif ), Montgomery (lemon flavor), Oatmeal, Chocolate (this one is absolutely to die for, it is soooooooooooo gooooooooood icon_smile.gif ), and Vanilla.

My absolute favorite is Montogomery, and would be happy to provide the recipe if anyone is interested. icon_smile.gif

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 5:46am
post #10 of 41

MywifesDH, I have never heard of a wet bottomed pie ! Would love if you could PM me the recipes for the Chocolate, oatmeal and lemon ones.
Thanks they sound delish.

jscakes Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 6:07am
post #11 of 41

mywifesDH: I would enjoy having some of the recipes! They all sound good, is the Montgomery one real lemony?
Thanks!

BlueLamp1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueLamp1 Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 6:51am
post #12 of 41

Whats a wet bottomed pie? icon_biggrin.gif and if i could have the recipie also? Im always up for using my family as guinea pigs for new recipies! As for fav pies : Banana cream pie is my absloute all time favorite. Coconut cream pie is another fav then followed by pecan pie! DOnt care too much for apples or lemon so i tend to stay away from those. heheh
THanks!

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 8:26am
post #13 of 41

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm pie!!

mywifesDH Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 11:42am
post #14 of 41

WOOOO HOOOO icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

We struck a familiar chord, didn't we??? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote:
Quote:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm pie!!

...and,

Quote:
Quote:

...and if i could have the recipie also?

...and,

Quote:
Quote:

I would enjoy having some of the recipes! They all sound good, is the Montgomery one real lemony?
Thanks!

Verrrrry, lemony. We use honest-to-goodness grated lemon rind. icon_biggrin.gif
...and,

Quote:
Quote:

...they sound delish.

I'd be most happy to post the recipes. I'm quite new to this board, and still don't know any accepted procedures, except to present ideas in an informative fashion. Since so many of you all asked for recipes, and they are public domain, may I please just post them here? The Montgomery pie (lemon flavor) is my own modification from something in a long-lost cookbook, and I don't keep secrets; it's free to everyone.

A wet-bottomed pie is actually more cake than pie, because of its texture. In your mental image, picture a pie with a cake-like top with a gooey, syrupy bottom part. The Montgomery pie will actually make your eyes spin spirals, it is that lemony good. icon_biggrin.gif

There is something else that you will also enjoy with these wet-bottom pies::::: They are a piece o' cake to make. ((((All puns intended. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ))))

Recipes to follow shortly. icon_smile.gif

mywifesDH Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 11:52am
post #15 of 41

Montgomery pie

Bottom Part:::

1. ½ cup molasses (mild, e.g. Karo Syrup. We dont want this ingredient to add any of its own character-flavor.)

2. ½ cup sugar

3. 1 egg

4. 1 cup water

5. 2 Tablespoons flour

6. Juice and rind of 1/2 lemon

Top Part:::

1. 2/3 cup sugar

2. ¼ cup butter

3. 1 egg, beaten

4. ½ teaspoon soda

5. ½ cup sour milk

6. 1-1/4 cups flour

Procedure, Bottom Part:::

1. Combine ingredients for the bottom part of the pie.

2. Pour into an unbaked nine inch pie shell.

Procedure, Top Part:::

1. Cream together butter and sugar.

2. Add egg to the butter-sugar mixture and beat thoroughly.

3. Sift together dry ingredients, and add to mixture above alternating with the milk a little at a time till its all added..

4. Spread this topping mixture over the stuff thats already in the pie-shell.

5. Bake at 375 deg F. for 35 40 minutes

Makes one LARGE 9 pie

ENJOY!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I will have to search my wife's c-books for the others. I have this one readily available in my computer b/c I modified it and use it all the time. icon_smile.gif

jscakes Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 4:08pm
post #16 of 41

thumbs_up.gif Thanks for the recipe, now I can't wait to try it! Looking forward to the other ones as well!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 4:22pm
post #17 of 41

Sounds yummmmy to my tummy thumbs_up.gif

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 4:30pm
post #18 of 41

Just the mention of shoofly pie brings back so many memories from childhood for me. I grew up in Quakertown, Pennsylvania and it was a favorite pie every fall. We moved to Texas in 1979. I made shoofly pie for my family a few years ago and no one ate it but me. Oh, well, their loss!!!

mywifesDH Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 4:52pm
post #19 of 41

jscakes wrote:::

Quote:
Quote:

...now I can't wait to try it!

May I please make a suggestion:::::::::::::

Make two. When your family tastes it, and if they like lemon flavor, it will disappear faster that the last pork-chop in a boarding house. icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

pkcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkcakes Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 9:49pm
post #20 of 41

Thanks for the recipe! I'm moving, so I can't try it right away icon_cry.gif .
What time can I be at your home for the pie buffet?

gilson6 Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 9:50pm
post #21 of 41

Yeah, we all be there!!!

mudpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudpie Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 9:54pm
post #22 of 41

Ooooh! glad to get in on this subject!

Has anyone ever had an apple pie that has a hard, sugary, crunchy top..I think it might be similar to a sugar cookie? It's baked in a paper bag, but i don't think it has anything to do with the top crust. I'm wanting to find this recipe. It's sooo gooood. Ugh!

It is closely guarded how it's made.

mudpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudpie Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 9:55pm
post #23 of 41

Ooooh! glad to get in on this subject!

Has anyone ever had an apple pie that has a hard, sugary, crunchy top..I think it might be similar to a sugar cookie? It's baked in a paper bag, but i don't think it has anything to do with the top crust. I'm wanting to find this recipe. It's sooo gooood. Ugh!

It is closely guarded how it's made. It comes from a specialty shop, and they'll never tell!!

gilson6 Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 9:55pm
post #24 of 41

Have you googled it?

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 10:17pm
post #25 of 41

mudpie,
Is this a dutch apple pie?? There was a sorority selling these, and baking them in a grocery store in my area one day. They were incredible! Topped very high with crunchy top... would love to have that recipe too.

So here's a question... how do we ladies keep from turning into houses when we are baking so much? I mean if we don't taste our work how will we know if our product is any good? I've been trying to lose a couple inches, and I just don't know how I'm supposed to do it. The only thing I can figure out is to just taste the food, but not actually eat it (spit it out)... I know this is kinda gross, but what do you all do?

gilson6 Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 10:22pm
post #26 of 41

I am so sick of cake right now and I think my family would agree with me. I don't even taste my cakes anymore.

wendysue Posted 8 Nov 2005 , 10:36pm
post #27 of 41

I don't have that kind of confidence built up yet... only been doing cakes for about 18 months, and haven't made all that many... so for me I always think I need to taste the frosting... then there's the cake. I level it off and think I need to taste the peices that fall off... just to make sure. It's not such a good thing to be doing! Might be good that I don't make a lot of cakes!

mywifesDH Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 2:30am
post #28 of 41

My wife makes an apple pie like that, but it has no top crust. There is a sugar glaze on top that even sparkles in the light. Not only that, but the apple pie itself has an incredibly delectable flavor that is second to none. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I'll get the recipe. icon_smile.gif

Also, as a side hint, when you bake apple pies, if you use the Blushing Golden variety, you won't get that sagging/shrinking syndrome wherein the apples all cave-in and "mush" down to nothing.

jscakes Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 2:44am
post #29 of 41

wendysue: Well, I'm not quite as big as a house yet, just half of a duplex! icon_wink.gif But I still taste my cakes, icing, filling..etc. If I don't then I can't say if it was any good!

wendysue Posted 9 Nov 2005 , 2:49am
post #30 of 41

jscakes,
It seems like it would be hard not to taste, especially when trying new recipes. Seems like a dangerous hobby! Anyway, a little sugar is ok, but I have to say that I've actually skipped meals because I thought I'd already consumed enough calories to make up for one. Not so healthy! Like I said before, good thing I don't make too many cakes! Just a couple a month. : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%