Pregnancy Pans???

Decorating By llee815 Updated 6 Nov 2005 , 5:35am by soygurl

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 15

I want to make a 3D belly and breast cake for my sister who's pregnant. At first I was thinking of using half a ball pan cake and the mini ball pans but I want it to be bigger than that. I want the belly part to be at least 12" across. I don't care how long it will be just as long as it's porportionate. Does anyone have any ideas on what other pans I can use for the belly? TIA!

14 replies
oohlalacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohlalacakes Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 15

You could use any pyrex bowl for the belly and breasts. If you're going to make one that big, I'd use a heating core or at the very least a flower nail...not to mention it's going to take forever to bake. Hope this helped a little and I wasn't just stating something obvious. Good luck, can't wait to see it!

usaribbon.gif Samantha

charleydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleydog Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 15

I am so not creative to think of cake shapes, but here is my contribution to try to help you....

ok its not 3d but it may give you an idea...

http://www.thecakefairy.co.uk/pages/tummypage.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~kathygal/pregnant2_sm.jpg

http://www.half-bakedcakes.com/prego.jpg

They are very neat, what a good idea!!!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 15

I think you could get away with the bowl for the tummy and maybe the sports ball halves for the breasts. Maybe you could do a sheet cake with a silouette and have a medium bowl for the tummy and hostess snowballs for the breasts. I did a cake similar but it was a silouette wearing a bikini. It is in my photos. Hope that helps!
traci icon_smile.gif

llee815 Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 15

How do you use a flower nail to help it bake? I've heard some people do that but I've never really baked anything really big. I have the stand up bear heating core, could I use that? Thanks.

llee815 Posted 5 Nov 2005 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks everyone for your quick and VERY HELPFUL responses! I really appreciate it!

charleydog,
I love the pics in the links you sent. They are very helpful. Thanks.

traci,
I looked at your pic. Very cute! Now I'm not sure how I want to make the cake!!

traci Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 12:22am
post #7 of 15

I am sure whatever you do will be cute...can't wait to see pics. icon_smile.gif
traci

llee815 Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 1:06am
post #8 of 15

I have another question about MMF. I have never worked with it, but it seems simple enough to make. Is this any harder to work with than Wilton fondant? I've made a couple ladybugs with the Wilton fondant. It was easy to work with but no one like the taste. Is MMF similar just better tasting? Thanks.

charleydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleydog Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 1:08am
post #9 of 15

I haven't used it but everything I 've read says it is similar but tastes waaaaaaaaay better!!!

icon_smile.gif

llee815 Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 1:18am
post #10 of 15

Thanks, charleydog.

Anyone have any good recipes for a coconut cake and filling to go with it?

traci Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 1:50am
post #11 of 15

Another premade fondant that is suppose to be good is Satin Ice. I just bought some and it is suppose to taste way better than Wilton.

I have used Duncan Hines coconut cake mix...and it was delicious. I actually used one coconut and one pinapple and did kind of a pina colada cake. I used cream cheese icing and everyone loved it.

traci icon_smile.gif

llee815 Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 2:03am
post #12 of 15

MY SISTER WOULD LOVE THAT!! So would most everyone else. That sounds so good! I'll ask her about it. Thanks for all your help!

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 4:20am
post #13 of 15

I did a belly cake for my SIL's baby shower 3 1/2 years ago. I did use the soprts ball pan (had to trim an inch or 2 off the bottom) and just used balls of fondant for the boobs (didn't have time to get the mini ball pan). It's on a 18"x11" sheet cake. You can do a bigger one if you want. I'd sugest a bowl like the others sugested, but you'll need at really big full sheet pan if you want the body to be proportionate, I think. My cake is in my pics. Good luck, and don't forget to post a pic when you're done!

llee815 Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 4:38am
post #14 of 15

waterfallsoygurl,

I checked out your cake! It's very cute!

After seeing a few examples from the helpful people here, I think I'm going to go with the half ball pan and mini ball pan. I'll be making this cake probably closer to Thanksgiving, but I'll be sure to post the finished product.

Wish me luck!!

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions!

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 6 Nov 2005 , 5:35am
post #15 of 15

Thanks! Good luck with your cake! I'd definatly sugest you trim the bottom becaue it looks a little rediculous as a complete half ball, to me at least. Oh, and I'd also sugest using using the pat inself and plastic wrap to make clothes out of fondant. It really helps to mold it over the ball pan and then cut out the shape you want. Then you can careful place it on the cake. If you figure out a better way tell me, but that's the only way I could figure out how to get the right shape and get it smooth. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%