Reusing Leftover Mmf?

Decorating By texasblue Updated 12 Feb 2007 , 4:37am by melysa

texasblue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasblue Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 12:38am
post #1 of 8

I just made my first cake with MMF for my youngest daughter's 2nd birthday. I had quite a bit of red fondant left that was cut off of the cake. Is it possible to reuse it or should I just throw it away? I covered it in Crisco and double saran wrapped it and then put it in a freezer bag to sit in our fridge. I have another birthday cake to make in the near future. It would be great to not have to make another batch.

Also, I had a few small cracks at the edges where it draped down. Any suggestions for avoiding that in the future?

How do you get the white cornstarch off of the cake when you are using a darker color?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

7 replies
melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 12:44am
post #2 of 8

personally i dont like to save it and re use- even though i wash my hands like a maniac, you never know what kinds of germs could grow over a week or whatever from handling it so much. so i dont use it but- i do save it to do practice cakes on my styrofoam, that way i dont have to worry that there is "used" fondant on someones cake that they will eat.

if you fluff it out as you smooth down (like sheets when making a bed) you're less likely to have the wrinkles.

i use crisco to roll it out instead of c.s. plus it wont stick and stays pliable longer.

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 12:45am
post #3 of 8

I have re-used MMF without a prob.. It is really hard/stiff but if you zap in the micro for 10-20sec (depending on quantity) before kneading it softens up.

As for cracks.....try not to roll out too much MMF for cake as the weight of it overhanging can make it crack.

I also smooth my sides from the bottom up...this really helps me!!

Did you try dusting off corn starch with a soft brush???.... also rub some crisco into hands when smoothing, this will also help with cracks!!!

HTH icon_lol.gif

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 12:47am
post #4 of 8

Yes, you can save your MMF. You wrapped is great, however, if you have a FoodSaver food sealer, then your MMF will last a LONG TIME!! Although I don't think that I would refrigerate it; too much moisture!!

As for the cracks, did you roll it too thin or pull on it too much??

And the cornstarch will usually brush off and what's left will eventually absorb into the MMF. Other than that, I am not sure.

mikko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikko Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 12:53am
post #5 of 8

i'm not sure what recipie you used, but i have reused my first batch of MMF at least 3 times and my boyfriend says it tastes great each time. however, I don't roll out the entire batch. i cut off a chunk and re-wrap what i didn't need. i have really saved the scraps because mine usually end up w/ a bit of buttercream on then & they start to melt.

I also put what i plan to use in the microwave for about 30 sec. at a time until it softens up. ***it will burn you if you try to knead it right out of the microwave***(i learned that one the hard way!)

if you add a little crisco befor you heat it, you might be able to keep it from cracking next time. It's worth a try.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 3:46am
post #6 of 8

yep, ya dont have to refrigerate it...it'll last a couple months on the shelf icon_biggrin.gif

kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 4:01am
post #7 of 8

I reuse it. I wrap it and bag it, and just put it in a cabinet. I was told that it will stay good as long as the expiration date on the bag of marshmallows used.... so far it has. icon_smile.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 4:37am
post #8 of 8

for clarifications sake:

i will save portions that have NOT been rolled out and handled and such

for all the little scraps etc, no . like someone else mentioned- if bc is on it, that too can pose an issue with molding etc. plus i just dont think its sanitary to reuse it on another cake down the line.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%