Smooth Frosting

Decorating By yumcupcakes Updated 12 Feb 2007 , 4:29pm by yumcupcakes

yumcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yumcupcakes Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone! I can never get the top of my cakes to look smooth, so I was told to spray a VERY SMALL AMOUNT of water on the frosting and then smooth it out. Well it works really good but as soon as the frosting dries, I get cracks in it which looks really bad. Is there anything else I can do?

6 replies
weberm05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weberm05 Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 7

If you don't already do it...........use a viva papertowel to smooth the icing..such as buttercream icing.

Wait till it crusts.....then place your viva on it. Then lightly rub your hand over it. It should smooth right out.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 7

What sort of icing are you using?
If it is a crusting buttercream, you could smooth it the best you can with your spatula..wait about 10 minutes for it to crust over a bit (I leave mine on the counter)..then you can use one of the following methods...
1. Melvira roller method (lots of info on the forum about this)
2. Viva paper towels...lay one carefully on the top and either use a fondant smoother or your hand (without rings) and move your hand gently in circular motion...you will be surprized at how good it smooths
3. Same as paper towel but use computer paper ..this is my preferred top smoothing method.

People swear by Melvira's method and she is great to help...sorry I don't have the link but easy to find..

HTH
Jane

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 7

Try the Melvira Method, do a search for that. I think it is even in the "How to" section here.

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 7

Oh yes, now I see it on the home page, under New Articles

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 7

...ya can't go wrong using the 'Melvira Method'!!!
thumbs_up.gif

yumcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yumcupcakes Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 7

thanks so much everyone! im definitly going to try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%