Has Anyone Ever Heard Of......

Decorating By midgit1205 Updated 18 Mar 2007 , 9:29am by VACakelady

midgit1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midgit1205 Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 12

a Key Lime filling for cake?? icon_confused.gif I've searched everywhere for a recipe but can't seem to find one. I am wondering if using the filling for a Key lime pie would work? Thoughts??

Thanks to all for your help!

Janeil icon_lol.gif

11 replies
Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 12

I have not heard of any, but perhaps there is a Jello pudding in Key Lime flavor? I would not use key lime pie filling, since it tends to be on the runny side. However, I guess you could bake it in a dish and then scoop it out. I would make sure to use an icing dam though. Also, you could make lemon curd but use lime juice instead of lemon juice.

Best of Luck!
marci

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 12

Here's one you can try:

1 can Eagle Brand condensed milk (14 oz can)
3 egg yolks (no whites)
1/2 cup Nellie and Joe's Key West Lime juice
9" graham cracker pie crust

Bake at 350 for 15 mins. Cool for 10 mins. on wire rack; refrigerate.

I bet you could make this and after it's cooled in the frig for about an hour, scoop it out and use as a filler for your cake?.... Just a thought.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 12

I don't see why you can't use the key lime pie filling on a cake. Like the previous poster said just make a dam with the frosting so that it doesn't ooze out the side. Just make sure that your cakes are completely cooled before you put in the filling as like she also said, it might break. You would have to keep this one refrigerated though. Because of the filling breaking and you ending up with lime flavored cake and no filling (either way still sounds good to me)

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 12

If you sub lime juice for lemon in a curd recipe and then mix it with buttercream, I think it would taste sublime!
The BC keeps the filling from weeping and getting watery..works great

HTH
Jane

jastaus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jastaus Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 12

yeah just make a lime curd. Take whatever lemon curd recp. you have(butter, eggs, lemon juice/zest). and change all the lemon to lime. Its really tasty I use lime curd in a yummy margarita cake.

midgit1205 Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 3:37am
post #7 of 12

THANKS for all of the tips. I never thought of making a lime curd. Now, can I get the recipe for the margarita cake....... icon_redface.gif

Janeil

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 3:43am
post #8 of 12

I just saw some commercial Key lime curd in Fresh Market this evening. I bought some just to have on hand! That's another of my little secrets...I buy stuff that I have no idea when I'll use.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Feb 2007 , 4:07am
post #9 of 12

Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice was mentioned. I wish they sold it here! That is the stuff they used at the key lime pie place that was featured on Road Tasted! I have heard from members on other forums, and they say it is the best,, so close to fresh. Wish I could find it here. I guess I will have to write to Wegman's again! I'm jealous!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 12:34am
post #10 of 12

Janeil:
If your still there, I saw this the other day and thought about this post....

At Harry and David's, they have a "Key Lime Curd" filling/preserve. I bought some and it is great!!! Used it in a plain white cake (wasn't sure what type of cake to use) and it tasted sweet, tart and smooth all at the same time.

Just thought I'd share with you. Little late I know.

midgit1205 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:26am
post #11 of 12

Thanks for the information! It is actually right on time. I am just preparing the samples this week!

Thanks again!

Janeil

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 9:29am
post #12 of 12

Gee, now you all have me wanting a piece of key lime pie. I think I'd like to try making the pie and using it for cake filling. YUM!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%