Preparing Cake For Wedding

Business By bryn Updated 22 Mar 2005 , 4:07pm by sugarandspice

bryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bryn Posted 17 Mar 2005 , 3:52am
post #1 of 7

birthday.gif

I just wanted to see if anyone knew how to freeze several cakes in advance for a wedding. like how many days in advance and in what to cover them with out them spoiling. please let me asap because i'm planning on making a wedding cake for my brother's wedding. thanx,bryn

icon_razz.gif

6 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 17 Mar 2005 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 7

Some people make the cakes a month in advance- I personally do them a week in advance.
First, I wrap my cooled cakes first in saran wrap, then in freezer paper, and I then place the cakes in the freezer.
Now cali4dawn also wraps hers up in black garbage bags.
Just as long as they are well wrapped so that they don't get freezer burn and don't absorb odors from the freezer you should be ok.

bryn Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 3:40am
post #3 of 7

thank you so much.

bryn Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 3:44am
post #4 of 7

now as for when you are ready to frost how much time in advance do you take the cakes out and how long do you wait to frost them. Do you do them the morning of the wedd day or a day in advanc.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 8:09am
post #5 of 7

Hey Bryn.. you should copy this post and add it in the General Board. You may get more ideas faster that way. This is under cake business, and not everyone looks here as much as they do in "General" and "How do I".
But I cant help you here really.. wish I could. I would think the lastest you pull the cake out the better so that the temp of the cake can help the decorating borders and such set...but like I said, I really cant help ya. sorry

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 18 Mar 2005 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 7

Depending on how busy I am is when I will do the cake. You can do up to 2 days in advance for icing and decorating. I remove the frozen cakes out of the freezer the night before I am going to decorate and place them into my refrigerator to thaw, do NOT unwrap your cakes until you are ready to place them on the cake boards for decorating. Otherwise your cakes will dry out, I found this out the hard way with a lemon cake that I made for a baby shower cake. Keeping them wrapped while they defrost keeps the moisture in.

sugarandspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandspice Posted 22 Mar 2005 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 7

Sorry if I'm chiming in too late... but I work in an upscale wedding cake shop where we only do one or two weddings a week, which I think is probably comparable to what most people would do from a home based bakery.

Our schedule is: Wednesday-bake all cake layers, cool them then double wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate them; Thursday-pull all cake layers from the cooler and assemble each tier, crumb coat and ice and then back into the cooler; Friday-stack the cakes, and decorate. Sometimes the decorating will take place on Saturday if it's really simple and we don't need to be delivering any cakes in the morning. We never freeze our cakes.

I think you should always give yourself some wiggle room in case you need it. If you're not frosting the cake until the day of the event and something goes wrong there's nothing you can do. I think you have to plan for everything... and leave yourself time to fix it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%