Chocolate Clay Used Like Fondant?

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 11 Feb 2007 , 3:10pm by DianaMarieMTV

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 11:43am
post #1 of 32

I know somewhere I saw a post where someone used candy clay like fondant on a cake. I have a couple of 6" heart ckes this weekend that I want to cover in chocolate, but would like to use fondant, but chocolate. Can anyone help?

deb

31 replies
SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 11:49am
post #2 of 32

Yup I covered two cakes with chocolate clay, one is in my photos. It is really easy to do. What do you need helpwith, I am not following you?

jenifergilliland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenifergilliland Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 12:03pm
post #3 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERCAT

Yup I covered two cakes with chocolate clay, one is in my photos. It is really easy to do. What do you need helpwith, I am not following you?

Can you tell me how you made it and is it like fondant when it comes to rolling it? I love the looks of fondant but not the taste. Thanks in advance.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 32

I used the recipe "katy625" used a few weeks ago for roses. The recipe is
10ozs of chocolate whatever you want to use.
1/3 cup of corn syrup
Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl at 30 sec intervals, until melted
Add corn syruo and mix in
Grease your rolling surface and roll like fondant but NO powdered sugar, just use crisco. HTH

jenifergilliland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenifergilliland Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERCAT

I used the recipe "katy625" used a few weeks ago for roses. The recipe is
10ozs of chocolate whatever you want to use.
1/3 cup of corn syrup
Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl at 30 sec intervals, until melted
Add corn syruo and mix in
Grease your rolling surface and roll like fondant but NO powdered sugar, just use crisco. HTH

What size cake did this cover so I know how much to use? Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

MomLittr Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 32

Thanks Silvercat - I just needed a recipe and maybe a little advice, both of which you gave us! This will be my first attempt at candy clay and using it like a fondant, so covering small 6" hearts should not be too hard to do. How thick do you roll it out to cover cakes?

deb

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 32

I too have been interested in trying chocolate clay. Can you use white chocolate as well? Can itd be colored? How much "play" time do you have before it starts to set?

THX

JasonL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JasonL Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 32

I tried making lchocolate clay last weekend and mine turned out really greasy and the chocolate looked grainy and wasn't evenly colored, it was darker in parts of it. I used that same recipe and kneaded in about a tbl spoon of crisco to make it more elastic but it made it very very greasy can yall tell me where I went wrong, is it better to use almond bark instead, maybe less butter in it?

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 32

kello - you can use white chocolate & color it. I use the Wilton gels or candy colors, but some here say the gels seize the chocolate. Your play time is not too limited, because it will soften up with the warmth of your hands.

JasonL - I prefer the semi-sweet chips or dark or white chocolate. The almond bark does not taste quite as good, but it will work.

All - you must be sure not to over heat the chocolate. I use the double boiler, rather than the microwave, it's more reliable for me. After the chocolate & corn syrup are mixed, pour it onto a sheet of plastic wrap & wrap securely. Let set, preferably overnight. It will be hard, but as your hands warm it, it softens up. I have not covered a cake with it, but used it for modeling roses, figures, bows, etc. There are some roses in my photos, I think. icon_confused.gif This is some great stuff to work with & tastes wonderful!

bpshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bpshirley Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 32

Hi. I would like to cover a cake in chocolate clay but am afraid it will mottle or get white spots on it. This is what happens when I make CC roses etc. Any tips?
Pam

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 2:55pm
post #11 of 32

bpshirley - I've never had that happen. I can only guess that there was some moisture somewhere?? Did you put it in the fridge or freezer? If so, that maybe why. If not, I just don't know. Perhaps someone else has some ideas?

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:03pm
post #12 of 32

did you read the thread "It was easy!!! I'll tell you what I know" in the How Do I...forum? I think it will answer alot of your questions.

I used candy melts for my chocolate clay and it came out really greasy at first. I thought I had done something wrong so I went back and read the instructions and it said to knead the clay till all the oiliness (/) was worked in. Hope that helps some.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:08pm
post #13 of 32

JasonL, it sounds to me like you overheated your chocolate. What method did you use to melt your chocolate? When melting chocolate in the microwave, you should do so on a lower power, 50-70% and stir in 30 second intervals. The chocolate may not look melted when you look at it but once stirred, it may come together. Overheating or burning the chocolate will cause it to seize, become grainy and greasy.
You can also use candy melts make this clay, it is a little more fogiving than chocolate.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:35pm
post #14 of 32

I did 3 batches of candy/chocolate clay. For the chocolate and yellow candy melt, it turned out perfectly. For the purple candy clay, it turned out greasy. I believe I overheated it. I was busy cleaning up the kitchen when I was melting the purple melt icon_lol.gif Anyways, I just scraped the greasy puddles and it turned out okay. HTH.

bpshirley Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:37pm
post #15 of 32

Thanks everyone! I read the suggested posts and it gave me a lot to work with. I'm going to cover a cake with CC today =)

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:58pm
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpshirley

Thanks everyone! I read the suggested posts and it gave me a lot to work with. I'm going to cover a cake with CC today =)

I'm glad you are going to try this! It really works and it soo yummy! Just make sure you keep all children away from the chocolate! icon_biggrin.gif My neices destroyed my last cake before I could even get it together. The temptation is too high! icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif I can't wait to see your cake!

MomLittr Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 4:02pm
post #17 of 32

Thanks to all for this information thumbs_up.gif ................I may get some red, pink and yellow candymelts to make the roses to go on the cakes! Can't wait - it is so cold outside and this is a great indoors thing to do on the weekend.

deb

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 4:13pm
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdcakes

kello - you can use white chocolate & color it. I use the Wilton gels or candy colors, but some here say the gels seize the chocolate.

icing gel colors are water based.
candy colors are oil based.

for regular chocolate melting, you want an oil based color for sure.
for the chocolate clay, either will work because the chocolate seizes up when you mix in the corn syrup anyway (water based).

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 4:21pm
post #19 of 32

[quote
Just make sure you keep all children away from the chocolate! [/quote]

LOL: the kids.............. for every rose I made I ate two!! icon_rolleyes.gif

MrsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMom Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 8:12pm
post #20 of 32

I'm going to try to use it to cover a Snow White doll cake for my DD's bday next week...hope it turns out like the ones I've seen here!

As an aside...anyone know why I can respond to posts and send PM's, but not start posts? I started one earlier today (maybe a couple hours ago) but haven't been able to since. I keep getting a "Debug Error" message. icon_sad.gif

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 8:24pm
post #21 of 32

That is happening to me too. I just tried to post a while ago and I just tried again and no luck! Same message....?

Fancymcnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancymcnancy Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 9:27pm
post #22 of 32

Does it have the same consistency as mmf when you cut the cake, or is it a bit stiffer?

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 11:03pm
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancymcnancy

Does it have the same consistency as mmf when you cut the cake, or is it a bit stiffer?

it will set up so it will be stiffer, but still managable to eat, not like hard choc but more like fudge.

bpshirley Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 2:58am
post #24 of 32

I just finished the cake that I tried to cover with Chocolate clay icon_sad.gif I'm not sure what I did wrong because I was very careful to follow all the instructions I read, but my CC just got more and more crumbly. So I mixed it half and half with MMF and then was able to continue. Maybe it was the store brand (Kroger)chocolate chips I bought?

katy625 Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 3:22am
post #25 of 32
Quote:

I just finished the cake that I tried to cover with Chocolate clay icon_sad.gif I'm not sure what I did wrong because I was very careful to follow all the instructions I read, but my CC just got more and more crumbly. So I mixed it half and half with MMF and then was able to continue. Maybe it was the store brand (Kroger)chocolate chips I bought?

Im sorry It didn't work well for you! Something I have always been told is use the best brands possible. It does seem to make a difference. Did you try to work in a little crisco and also did you try and pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up? I do think the brand of chocoalte might of had something to do with it.

bpshirley Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 3:31am
post #26 of 32

I did add almost 1/4 cup of Crisco and zapped it a tiny bit to soften it up. I just looked at the other bag of choc chips and they have "bloomed". (that white look) so maybe that was it? Anyway I won't cheap out on chocolate again =)

katy625 Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 4:01am
post #27 of 32
Quote:

I did add almost 1/4 cup of Crisco and zapped it a tiny bit to soften it up. I just looked at the other bag of choc chips and they have "bloomed". (that white look) so maybe that was it? Anyway I won't cheap out on chocolate again =)

You know you can get the Ghiradelli white chocolate bars. I use Nestle chips for the white clay, but I used my Semi sweet Ghiradelli for the chocolate clay. I think I am going to Ghiradelli white next time to see if it turns out better and maybe a little more white too. Its all in experimenting! thumbs_up.gif

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 4:06am
post #28 of 32

Did a bunch of grease seep out of your candy clay while you were letting it rest? The first time I made some cc, I sopped up the grease that came out and it was crumbly and dry. The second time I just kneaded it in and I think that is what went wrong with it the first time. It needs that grease as a binder I guess. I'm not sure if that might be where you went wrong, but I just wanted to offer it as a possibility and as a warning to others who are new to candy clay! icon_smile.gif Hopefully it goes better for you next time.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 5:43am
post #29 of 32

I made a white chocolate wedding cake a couple of weeks ago. I would suggest to everyone to start small to get the feel for it before diving straight into it like I did. It was quite overwhelming for the first time.

I used 16 oz. Wilton Candy Melts and 1/3 c. Light Corn Syrup. It's quite stiff but does soften as you knead it. Before rolling it out for the cake I kneaded in 1 TBSP. Crisco as some CC members suggested. That helped it to lay over the cake easier but it was still a challenge. Use cornstarch for rolling it out. I would suggest trying 10 oz. white chocolate and 1/3 c. corn syrup as Katy625 mentioned. It is probably easier to work with for the purpose of covering a cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaMarieMTV

Did a bunch of grease seep out of your candy clay while you were letting it rest?

Yes it did. After it rests for 2 hours just knead it. The warmth of your hands will soften the hard chunks from the oil and it you won't have to worry about it anymore. I even put mine in the microwave for 20 seconds on 20% power to soften it a tad before kneading it.

MomLittr Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 1:44pm
post #30 of 32

I tried making the candy clay from candymelts last nite - guess they are made with an oil base because boy did it seep out alot! I kneaded most of it out when it cooled, but just gave up and put it in the fridge (literally dirpping oil off my hands). This morning I took it out and am letting it come to room temperature to try to work it. BTW, do not use a napkin to try to sop up the grease.....sticks to the clay, does not come off, and I ended up tossing half because it was full of paper napkin icon_redface.gif ! Now, is it better to deal with the messy oil and knead most of it out, or just put the whole thing in the fridge for a few hours to stiffen up?

deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%