Car Cakes

Decorating By LisasCakesNM Updated 9 Feb 2007 , 2:21pm by mbelgard

LisasCakesNM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisasCakesNM Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 6:45am
post #1 of 8

I was wondering how to support a car cake. I would like to make a special cake that looks like my fiancé car (he loves it) but I was hoping to make it more realistic. I have carved the shape of the car but I can't figure out how to make it stand on the wheels. I saw this kind of thing done on "Ace of Cakes" but they never showed how they did it. I hope I am making sense! Any thoughts are appreciated!

7 replies
jastaus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jastaus Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 8:57am
post #2 of 8

wish i could help!! would love to know as well.

sehrs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sehrs Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 9:15am
post #3 of 8

I think the wheels are generally just attached to the sides instead of holding up the whole car? Could be wrong... never done it..just assuming that's how its done

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 8

When I did my jeep cake, I used a piece of colored styrofoam covered in plastic wrap to suspend the jeep up. I cut the styrofoam about 2 inches smaller on all sides than the cake. I used 2 cake boards to give the cake plenty of support then sat the whole thing on styrofoam.

I remember looking for vehicle examples here and found one (but i don't remember who it was) and she said her husband made her a wooden support for it that acted like a frame and axles for the jeep.

I didn't want to go to all that trouble so I used styrofoam. It worked well.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisasCakesNM

I was wondering how to support a car cake. I would like to make a special cake that looks like my fiancé car (he loves it) but I was hoping to make it more realistic. I have carved the shape of the car but I can't figure out how to make it stand on the wheels. I saw this kind of thing done on "Ace of Cakes" but they never showed how they did it. I hope I am making sense! Any thoughts are appreciated!

As the previous poster suggested you need to raise the cake with something.
I made this last december
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-88793.html
and i raised it with a few rectangular pieces of cardboard that were less wide than the wheels. I covered them in black fondant and then sat the cake board on top of them. The wheels hid this, so the car looked like it was actually standing on the wheels.
cheers
Nati

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 8

I made a dump truck cake which I just added to my pictures. I used mini chocolate covered donuts for the wheels. I did the base of the cake in dark chocolate frosting to give the illusion that it's raised; but the whole cake is flat on the board and so are the wheels. I attached them with buttercream.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 8

When I made my VW beetle I suspended it like cake geek...with a rectangular piece of foam core to hold everything up. I covered this support board to match the main cake board. Also, I cut out notches for the wheels so it would look the tires were underneath the car. Here's a pic: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=mamacc&cat=0&pos=9

Courtney

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 8

If you want it truly suspended you can have a board cut to exactly the size of the cake and have a second board for the base. Use wide dowels in between that are screwed in place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%