Baking Cakes In Convection Oven

Decorating By eneq Updated 28 Jan 2014 , 10:15pm by mrsjaws

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:41am
post #1 of 18

I have a convection oven but have only baked cakes using standard bake. Do any of you bake your cakes in convection mode? if so, do you adjust the temperature or the bake time? how do the cakes turn out? I'm new to all this so i was just wondering...

17 replies
Crakerz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crakerz01 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:43am
post #2 of 18

I was wondering the same thing. We just got a new convection oven and I have yet to try it.

Tolinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tolinda Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:49am
post #3 of 18

i found a link about cooking in convection ovens. maybe this will help!

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00042.asp

ang_ty95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang_ty95 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:50am
post #4 of 18

I purchased a convection oven for my hobby and find the bake time is longer BUT the cooking is even. Also I do adjust the temperature by 25 degrees however, my oven does have an auto conversion. I was a little surprised because I thought convection was supposed to be faster.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:50am
post #5 of 18

I'm so glad someone posted this!! I have a convection oven and get real confused reading how your supposed to use 325 and not 350 and I've never had trouble with the centers of my cakes not being done. I do use a core for the 12" and up rounds and large sheet cakes. I even stopped using the baking strips.
When I start, I press "bake", enter "350" and then press the "convection convert" button (on my stove it's right next to the bake button). When I first started using it last Jan, I had nothing but problems even with cookies using just the "bake" mode. I even called service out because the stove wasn't even a month old.
The service guy told me for baking, always use the convection convert button. No problems ever since.

ang_ty95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang_ty95 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:58am
post #6 of 18

If the recipe says 350 I change it to 325 for conversion however, when I enter 350 and auto convect the setting goes to 275???? which I don't understand so i just use 325 on convection and my cakes turn out fine.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 4:01am
post #7 of 18

I have a professional gas range with a gas oven with a convection fan. I can't bake with the convection fan. It seems to make things cook faster on the outside and remain undone on the inside. This is with a 10" cake. The outside got tough and brown and the inside was all doughy. I like to use it toward the end of regular cooking when I want to brown something up or I use it to sear a roast before lowering the temp and cooking regular. Do not like it for baking. Maybe electric is better...

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 6:00am
post #8 of 18

My convection oven is a GE Profile that has true European Convection,not for sure exactly what that means but the fan & heating work differently than American Convection.

It has regular bake, Convection Bake, and Convection Roast. I have no problems with batter flying with Convection Bake. It automatically lowers the temp by 25 degrees (if I put in 350, it heats to 325), but this option can also be disabled.

It takes about the same or a little longer for cakes to bake, especially when I have all 3 racks loaded. I believe that where the reduced time in baking comes from is the roast. I have read that the rules of thumb for a convection oven is to always cook 25 degrees lower than your normal temp, and that a roast will cook 25% faster.

I like my oven, I can load up all 3 racks and make 7 dozen cookies!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 6:11am
post #9 of 18

My oven has the convection option, but what is convection convert? I don't use my convection for cakes as it dries out the tops before the inside is done.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 12:07pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

My oven has the convection option, but what is convection convert? I don't use my convection for cakes as it dries out the tops before the inside is done.

The conversion is were you put in what the recipe calls for and that mode converts it to convection temp. HTH

Jopalis Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 18

I agree with Carol Ann.... They puff up and get real hard and brown on the outside...inside not done. It cooks by circulating the heat around. As above... great for roasts, etc. I don't like for baking.

vdrsolo Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 4:19pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

I agree with Carol Ann.... They puff up and get real hard and brown on the outside...inside not done. It cooks by circulating the heat around. As above... great for roasts, etc. I don't like for baking.

Mine works awesome. it has a Convection Bake or Convection Roast, does yours have that option?? The fan speed is slower on Convection Bake. I don't have any problems with mine.

Jopalis Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 4:30pm
post #13 of 18

No mine does not have that option. My Wilton class teacher who also does cakes for people also said she has better results getting her cakes to bake nice and even and not too brown by lowering the temp and cooking a little longer. They also don't dome up in the middle that way even without the bake right strips. I don't necessarily think baking cakes quicker is necessarily better. I love my range but I do know that baking with electric is better. oh well...you win some you lose some. I really don't like it when the outsides get too crusted/brown and I feel that I should cut it all off. Maybe I should be doing that but I don't ...

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 18

My oven is the Frigidaire Professional Series and has a "Bake", "Conv Bake" button and a "Conv Convert" button. I never use the conv bake button.
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones because my cakes come out moist, evenly baked and never browned on top/not baked in the middle.

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 12:06am
post #15 of 18

Thanks everyone for your input. Funny, i didn't even realize my oven had the conv convert button until u guys pointed it out. I just tried baking a cake and it was kinda "crusty" on the outside (would be good on a roast LOL). I think i'll stick to standard bake for my cakes until someone convinces me convection is the better way to go.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 10 Feb 2007 , 10:36pm
post #16 of 18

I just looked and my oven has a Convection Bake button. I just bake with regular bake and no problems. I got no complaints. Ü

vdrsolo Posted 12 Feb 2007 , 5:50am
post #17 of 18

For me, the whole reason I got the convection oven was for the Convection Bake option to reduce my time baking cakes! I love being able to load up my oven. I haven't had a problem yet with the outsides being crusty but I do use Magic Line pans, flower nails, and bake even strips, too.

mrsjaws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsjaws Posted 28 Jan 2014 , 10:15pm
post #18 of 18

A[SIZE=3][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%